25 watt heater-3 gallon aquarium. Too much?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Got my 3 gallon Mr. Aqua. and I'm ordering a pair of wild caught Betta splendens. I have a standard 10 gallon for the female (future harem tank) And I'm planning on displaying the male in the 3 gallon. I haven't seen any heaters smaller than 25 watts that are adjustable. can I use the 25 watt?

Thanks
Joe

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The problem is going to be if the heater/thermostat fails and heats the water constantly.

I'd estimate that it will heat 3 gallons of water maybe 15 degrees over room temperature, you'll know better than anyone what your room temperature will be, and how diligent you are at checking the floating thermometer in the tank that you may have ;)

you should be fine in all honesty, the water may get a little on the slightly too warm side, but check the info that comes with the heater (or online if you didn't buy yet) and see if you can find out how much it will heat 3g of water (or double the number for 6g... etc)

also pay attention in a small tank that you can situate the heater correctly.. some need to be kept upright and submerged for example.. so make sure that there is enough physical space to do so, with a little extra space to take into account evaporation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store