Little, "neat" fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
Just wondering what other small fish there are out there that are fun to keep (and breed).

I have dwarf puffers and pygmy cory cats, and I really love both types of fish. I also would like to breed both types someday. I just really like little fish like that, have never been a fan of larger ones.

What are some other neat little fish that would be fun to keep as well as try to breed? I was thinking maybe bumblebee gobies or something like that. I don't really want any "normal" fish like guppies or tetras, but more of the unique, "oddball" types. Any other ideas (fresh, brackish or salt)?

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Threadfin rainbows
African dwarf frogs - not fish but still way cool

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Everglades Pygmy sunfish
Endler's Livebearer
Bumble bee goby
glass goby
Lucania goodei
spike-tailed paradise fish
chocolate gourami

Some slightly commons, but HTH

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Halfbeaks are very interesting fish :)

I also like the Killifish suggestion. Perhaps some Apistogramma species, or maybe scarlet badis?

All small and "neat" IMO.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
yes agree on the killifish... most are very small and there are hundereds of different species.

check out any killifish association web pages for numerous photos and info...

i reccomend northobranchius... although they are annual. they are neat to breed because you must dry out thier eggs in order for them to hatch. wow!
;)

very colorful too

-Diana

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
neolamprologus multifasciatus (multi's) shelldwelling cichlids from lake tanganyika. males only reach a little over 1", females about 3/4" and have tons of character, moving sand around to make their shell "comfy". Guarding their shell and territory around it to keep their babies safe from intruders. go read up on them, I think you'll like them as much as I do. Kyle

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
Thanks for all the replies so far :)

I checked out some killifish tonight at the LFS and I really, really like them. They are such gorgeous little things!

I'm interested to learn more about these shell-dwelling cichlids as I've heard others talk about them. I will have to go research them :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store