Small Low Light Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Hi everyone, I'm just doing some planning ahead for when I move into a new apartment this fall.

I'd like to get a small cube tank of sorts (like a nanocube, but freshwater. Do they make those?), probably between 5-10 gallons. I plan on having a dwarf gourami and a nerite snail or two for small-scale algae control.

I've never had a planted tank, but I'm planning on taking the plunge and starting small! Low light, no CO2. What are some good plants for this set up? I'm guessing java fern, but that's about as far as my plant knowledge goes :duh:. In particular I'd like to have some sort of small carpeting plant on the substrate.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Here is the problem. Carpeting plants need lots of light. Crypt Parva may eventually carpet the tank with low light, but may take 10 years.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
How true. But, there are options that will get you close. I have had good luck with pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum) and even microsword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis). The depth of the cube will affect the latter. Both these do not need added CO2 (which in my view would be a waste in such a small tank anyway). If your water is moderately hard, you can use the smaller corkscrew Vallisneria as a background, as it would likely grow close to the surface. It is darker green, so it contrasts nicely with the lighter green of the two afore-mentioned. Crypts are possible, but I find them temperamental. Java Fern you mentioned, and of course Java Moss on chunks of wood or rock. And Anubias nana. One stem plant that does well in low to moderate light is Brazilian Pennywort, and it grows beautifully on the surface too, which would be neded (floating plant) for gourami especially.

There are many of these "nano" freshwater tanks available now, and they will have LED lighting. If you decide on the more standard 5 or 10g, I find the old incandescent lighting works well. Two 10w CFL daylight (6500K) bulbs will provide sufficient light for all we've mentioned.

Byron.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
There are a lot of tanks between 5-10g. You can find some all in one setups that have filters and lights built in or you can put together your own setup. Mr. Aqua makes some nice rimless tanks as does ADA if you went to spend some extra money.

Also you've got some great recommendations from Byron there for plants. I will add a few carpet recommendations though. A couple Marsilea's may do ok. And while I've never tried it I see glosso recommended as a low light carpet a lot. It is also possible to carpet mosses, I think flame moss and fissidens in particular have great potential, just attach them to some mesh and lay it on the bottom. However, as Jessica said under low light, no co2 your biggest problem will be time.

These carpet plants will grow slow, so I may recommend looking into the dry start method. DSM basically involves putting in your substrate, getting it nice and wet, planting your starter plants and then cover your tank completely to keep high humidity without filling. This will grow the plants in their emersed form faster than you would be able to with most of these carpet plants submersed. When you flood the tank with water you may experience some melting but you will still be ahead of the game. The melting back is usually due to a lack of co2 so I would recommend dosing excel or even setting up a temporary diy co2 if thats not too much.

As far as other plants, my usual low light recommendations are anubias, java ferns, mosses, crypts, and certain stems. Like Byron said crypts can be tempermental. They don't much like to be disturbed or moved. But plant them and leave them and they should grow fine. It is one genera that actually enjoys shaded or low light conditions.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Another "carpeting" plant that is really easy IME si dwarf sag (Sagittaria subulata) although under lower light it tends to get a bit taller.

I agree with Byron...if you don't go with a kit, a couple CFLs over a smaller tank makes for a cheap, but sufficient, low-light setup.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Another "carpeting" plant that is really easy IME si dwarf sag (Sagittaria subulata) although under lower light it tends to get a bit taller.
And may appear even taller in a smaller setup like this. It can be done though with the right scape.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Thanks for all the replies! I'll look into it and update once I get around to setting it up later this year :)

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Depending on the size of the tank, an upright-growing moss species like Fissidens fontanus or flame moss might be your best bet for a foreground "carpet"—tie the moss to some flat rocks with hairnet or plastic window screening, and place them where you want your lawn to be. As the moss fills in it'll cover the rocks and look like it's planted directly into the substrate.

Marsilea is another foreground species that does well in low light, but it will take forever to fill in. If you don't mind waiting, it's a fun little plant.

Other plants you'll want to consider in a small low-light tank are smaller Anubias varieties (barteri var. nana 'Narrow Leaf,' 'Petite,' and 'Eyes' are good candidates), Sagittaria subulata (as others have mentioned), Rotala rotundifolia or Rotala cf. rotundifolia 'Green', Cryptocoryne species (C. parva, lutea. and pygmaea are good midground plants in a small tank, and things like C. wendtii or C. undulata would be good background candidates).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store