hey guys, can you help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asiona

Registered Member
May 10, 2014
hello everyone.

I am currently in the process of starting a freshwater planted aquarium. The plants that i want are way too expensive for the quantity in petco and petsmart. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with getting some plants. Maybe if your trimming your plants, I could pay the shipping cost? or if anyone can give me some advice on what plants would be good? Im just starting out so some help would be well appreciated :)

Thank you

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
One big thing when starting a planted tank. It's not going to look fully filled with plants when you first plant it. Especially if you use stem plants. They will grow in over time though. Be patient. Look for a local LFS that sells plants or post a wtb ad on a forum for the plants you want they will be cheaper than petco. Some easy stems will grow fast and you can trim and plant the trimmings. Wisteria, l. Repens, m. Mattogrossense are just a few that come to mind.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
If you live in or near a large city look on craigslist. There are people that sell plants, sometimes at very reasonable prices. Or you can post saying you are looking for free plants.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Without knowing what kind of setup you have and your location it's harder for us to help. Give us the details of your equipment and livestock, and I'm sure someone would be happy to help you at a lower price than a big store. People here are very helpful. Gotta know what we are helping with though!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

whitecatbite

AC Members
Apr 21, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Real Name
Auden
It depends on how your aquarium is set up, but I have had good experiences with the Anubias, java ferns and crypts at petsmart. A Lfs probably has them too if you want to support a local business. The javas and crypts fill out very quickly and the Anubias are very hardy-- good beginner plants if this is your first time having a planted tank.
My first planted tank experience was absolutely dreadful-- I had a really deep 55 gallon with a bad light and no prior knowledge of the complexities of aquatic plant care!!! Everything died and I was heart broken!! So definitely go for hardy plants or cheap plants. I made the mistake of buying really pretty baby tears and stem plants online and none of them made it :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store