Do I need to creat more bottom swim space?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I ordered 4 Panda Corydoras. Can you guys take a look at my tank pics and tell me if I need to remove the large driftwood so the cories can have more bottom swim space?
uploadfromtaptalk1399921672018.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399921690021.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399921718403.jpg

All help appreciated,
Patricia
Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1399921672018.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399921690021.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399921718403.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what size tank? what substrate?

the wood is fine but....cories usually like to be in groups... usually best on a nice sand substrat and they are very active swimmers and like foraging space.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I would say your fine with he space you have now, but I would also wait for more peoples thoughts. I don't have much experience with Corydoras :/
what size tank? what substrate?

the wood is fine but....cories usually like to be in groups... usually best on a nice sand substrat and they are very active swimmers and like foraging space.
Thank guys!
It's a 20 gallon high tank.
It has CaribSea Peace River Substrate. I ordered 6 Panda Corydoras.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
To your initial question, you're fine. Corys are "substrate" fish, true, but most species (and C. panda do this much more than some others) will spend more time off the substrate, browsing every surface be it plant leaf, wood, or tank walls. But of the several species I have, they seem to remain together most of the time. My group of five have taken a real like to playing in the filter stream periodically; probably not surprising, since this species is native to slightly faster-flowing clear water streams coming down from the Andes.

That tank looks very nice Patricia.:cheers:

I agree with Ed on sand, but if the gravel is not rough you should have no issues. Corys do like to sift sand through their mouths, ejecting it via the gills, which they obviously can't do with gravel. But though I have now changed to sand, I had corys thrive over natural gravel for many years. I mentioned their habitat above; those streams have substrates of sand and/or fine gravel. Just so long as the gravel is not rough, you're OK.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I always try and get more open "Floor space" for corys, but....
2) for only 4 Pandas that looks OK, but........
3) corys like to be in big schools, 6-8 would be better.

PS--What is that "White disk" between the drift woods??

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
6 corys are fine in your tank. I agree with Byron, it looks very good. I've thought of trying Peace River, I love the color & small rounded grains, more of a fine gravel. It seems like it would be easy clean, is it?

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
To your initial question, you're fine. Corys are "substrate" fish, true, but most species (and C. panda do this much more than some others) will spend more time off the substrate, browsing every surface be it plant leaf, wood, or tank walls. But of the several species I have, they seem to remain together most of the time. My group of five have taken a real like to playing in the filter stream periodically; probably not surprising, since this species is native to slightly faster-flowing clear water streams coming down from the Andes.

That tank looks very nice Patricia.:cheers:

I agree with Ed on sand, but if the gravel is not rough you should have no issues. Corys do like to sift sand through their mouths, ejecting it via the gills, which they obviously can't do with gravel. But though I have now changed to sand, I had corys thrive over natural gravel for many years. I mentioned their habitat above; those streams have substrates of sand and/or fine gravel. Just so long as the gravel is not rough, you're OK.

Byron.
The gravel is not sharp. I tested it by rubbing and squeezing the gravel between my fingers. It didn't scrape or cut me.
1) I always try and get more open "Floor space" for corys, but....
2) for only 4 Pandas that looks OK, but........
3) corys like to be in big schools, 6-8 would be better.

PS--What is that "White disk" between the drift woods??
1. You think I should remove the big driftwood in the middle?
2. Actually added two more corys to my order.
3. The white disk looking thing is actually a very white rock.
6 corys are fine in your tank. I agree with Byron, it looks very good. I've thought of trying Peace River, I love the color & small rounded grains, more of a fine gravel. It seems like it would be easy clean, is it?
It is very easy to clean. It is small grained but it is heavy that it does not get suck up when I vacuum the gravel.

**P.S. My order of fish is coming tomorrow. Do I need to do a partial water change, even though I did my weekly water change on this past Friday (I removed about 50% of the water while I gravel vac)?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You think I should remove the big driftwood in the middle?
I would not remove wood. If anything, add more. This is important for soft water fish including corys.

My order of fish is coming tomorrow. Do I need to do a partial water change, even though I did my weekly water change on this past Friday (I removed about 50% of the water while I gravel vac)?
I wouldn't, given the fish species. Presumably the fish are going straight in this display tank.

Byron.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I would not remove wood. If anything, add more. This is important for soft water fish including corys.

I wouldn't, given the fish species. Presumably the fish are going straight in this display tank.

Byron.
Thanks I will leave it as is, for now:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store