Alternative filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
About to set up a 125 as a species tank of Rummy Nose Tetra (first tank) and I have these two Eheim Pro 3E 700 canister filters to work with. Is there some kind of cheaper alternative filter media I can use? Eheim's media is gonna cost a small fortune. Thanks

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
About to set up a 125 as a species tank of Rummy Nose Tetra (first tank) and I have these two Eheim Pro 3E 700 canister filters to work with. Is there some kind of cheaper alternative filter media I can use? Eheim's media is gonna cost a small fortune. Thanks
Yes there is. I have Eheims on two tanks (terrific filters) but I do not use their media due to the cost. I have the Fluval ceramic disks in the first basket, and the bio media in the second (and third if the larger filter).

The ceramic disks are called "Pre Filter" and this is it:
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/External/A1470
The bio media is called BioMax and this is it:
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/External/A1456

The pre filter is certainly the same thing, they are simply ceramic disks. The biomax may be different from the Eheim Substrat as they call the biological media, but I have never had issues. As rummys are mentioned, presumably you will have plants anyway, so filtration is much less of an issue.

Byron.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
In addition to ceramic media I like coarse sponge media cut to fit & sometimes use a thin layer of floss or the "blue backed" batting type media. Those last 2 filter out fine particles but do clog more often...that's why I only use them sometimes ;). Some tanks need finer media but a rummy nose species tank without a lot of plant debris may not. I congratulate you on have 2 good filters! A very good investment that might only need alternate cleaning every few months. I also like sponge prefilters on the intakes to keep the big junk out of the filters if the ugly big things can be hidden. They are quick & easy to rinse in a water change bucket or under running tap water. Prefilters also save any fry from getting sucked up & provide a grazing area too.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I forgot to mention that I do use the blue and white filter pads made by Eheim, since they fit their filters.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
That's the beauty about canisters, they're versatility. You don't have to use brand name media just because you have a brand name filter. There're only 3 types of filtration; mechanical, biological, and chemical. There're many types of media that perform these functions. Get what you want at the price you want to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I also use the inexpensive Fluval media mentioned by Bryon for mechanical and bio filtration. I use AC filter sponges cut to size for intermediate coarse filtration. They are very durable.
And i use Marienland Rite size bonded filter pad cut to size for finer filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store