what is this stem plant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jeremy_fisher_

AC Members
May 14, 2014
i got it from someone who didn't know the name. help me identify it so i can better take care of it. it has algae growing on it right now.

thanks everyone.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
It looks like one of the plants I have. When I bought it, they said it was Bacopa Carolina. Here is a pic of mine:
uploadfromtaptalk1400113662962.jpg
I hope this helps. If am wrong, please someone else chime in to help.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1400113662962.jpg

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I think Pattycakes81 nailed it that's what it looks like. Does the plant have a strong scent to it when you have it out of the water? I had a huge bush of the stuff in my 120g and 90g and the scent when trimming was almost unbearable it was so strong. (granted I'm one who's sensitive to perfumes so not all folks may have a strong sense of smell.) =)

jeremy_fisher_

AC Members
May 14, 2014
i think that's it! thanks guys! Jay, I went and had a sniff after reading your comment. i didn't smell much of anything so i broke off a piece of stem and it smelled a bit like freshly cut grass.

the strongest odor right here is me so i probably mask everything else. haha. it's so hot that i've been sweating like crazy, even after just a light workout. i have thigh balls right now.

anyway, i've been reading up on it. some sites say it's fast-growing, some say it's a slow grower. how is it for you guys? how do you guys care for it?

i appreciate the feedbacks. thanks.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
i think that's it! thanks guys! Jay, I went and had a sniff after reading your comment. i didn't smell much of anything so i broke off a piece of stem and it smelled a bit like freshly cut grass.

the strongest odor right here is me so i probably mask everything else. haha. it's so hot that i've been sweating like crazy, even after just a light workout. i have thigh balls right now.

anyway, i've been reading up on it. some sites say it's fast-growing, some say it's a slow grower. how is it for you guys? how do you guys care for it?

i appreciate the feedbacks. thanks.
I have my bacopa Carolina in a 20 gallon high tank with 26 watts of daylight spiral bulbs.
The growth rate is moderate as not fast like other stem plants(ancharis, wisteria, water sprite, etc.).
I think they look nicer planted in groups.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeremy_fisher_

AC Members
May 14, 2014
That would partially explain the algae on them if they are not very fast growers. I think I have the same type of algae growth on my anubias. I currently have them spread out because I'm trying to propagate them but I do agree with you that they look nicer planted together. Thanks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Was this algae on this Bacopa there when you acquired it? Or has it developed in your tank?

You mention having this brush algae on your Anubias. That is due to light. Anubias is a low-light plant, and if kept under the tank light it often develops brush algae. Java Fern does the same. Shade is better, or diffused light, as from floating plants.

If the stem plant algae is from your setup, we can help you deal with that, but will need to know the data on the light, fertilizers, etc.

Byron.

jeremy_fisher_

AC Members
May 14, 2014
It was like that when I acquired it. My Anubias is the only one of my plants that has algae growing on it.

Thanks for the tip, Byron! I will move it to a more shaded spot.

Thanks for helping a :newbie:, everyone!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
LMAO.

In my 120g highlight, injected co2, & ferts it was a weed, makes sense now that you mention the smell I was dealing with a pretty large mass. In my 90g with 1/2 the light, no Co2, and the occasional dosing it was definitely more manageable a lot slower and I would loose more of the leafs at the substrate. (but the observations made sense considering the difference between the two tanks)

It will definitely be a nicer plant when it fills in. (now you have me thinking I should keep this plant again...LOL)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store