Stocking for 3 tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WolfaraRose

AC Members
May 8, 2014
I would like input onto whether or not these stocking lists will work or not, but I did try to keep the levels of the tank balance in all of these. I will only be including the substrate, but there will be 7-10x capacity filtration on these. As well as adequate heaters, correct plants (would also like some suggestions on this front). And of course Hideyholes for the more skittish ones.

20 Gallon Planted Tank (gravel substrate)

2x Dwarf Gouramis (1m 1f)
6x Black and White Skirt tetras
1x Albino bristlenose pleco
1x kribensis
1x bumblebee catfish

29 Gallon Planted Tank (sand substrate)

3x Zebra Loach (looked and read that a group of 3 should be fine)
1x african butterfly fish
6x Mixed color Corycats
2x Cockatoo Apistogramma (1m, 1f)
1x pearl gourami (heard they are very docile but are big enough that going to the surface with an ABF that they shouldn't be bothered)

55 Gallon Planted Tank (can't decide between sand or gravel, maybe half of each? This is my Living room tank that EVERYONE who comes over will see. So keep that in mind with substrate.. XD)

3x Swordtails (1m 2f)
1x rainbow Shark
1x Bamboo Shrimp or Viper Shrimp
2x Golden Wonder Killifish
1x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1x Bristlenose Pleco (I heard having 2 in a 55 gallon wasn't a bad idea, but if you think it is let me know, and this guy won't be bought)
2x German Blue Rams (1m 1f)
6x Columbian Tetras
6x guppies (ALL male, unless you think I could feed the fry to the ABF or would the Killi take care of any free swimming fry?)
6x Apple Snail, Mystery Snail, Malaysian Trumpet Snail, or Nerite Snails (which of these is best or is there a different one ya'll would recommend?)

PLEASE READ
I tried to build these tanks around fish that I already have... and they are listed below. Any suggestions about removing them completely from the stock isn't what I'm looking for. On a side note, I haven't had any fin nipping issues from the Black and White Skirt Tetras.

3x Corycats
3x Swordtails
3x Black and White Skirt Tetras (1B 2W)
1x Colombian Tetra
1x Rainbow Shark
2x dwarf gourami (1m 1f)
1x Bamboo Shrimp
1x Golden Wonder Killifish

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Nothing jumps out at me as far as troublesome fish or combinations except the Rainbow Shark. They tend to get aggressive with age and size but I have one with Colombian Tetras in a 75g with no major issues yet. Feeding time gets a little crazy but he keeps to himself most of the time. I've heard horror stories of Rainbows killing smaller tank mates also.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I see some issues.

In the 20g, presumably the standard "high" and not the long, I would not have Black Skirt Tetra. This species is one of the larger tetras, and a group of six (more would be better as they can turn fin nippy) is really crowded in a 20g. This species needs at least 3 feet length, and the 4-foot 55g would be a much better option. Also, the gourami will be best in a trio, one male two females, so the attentions of the male (as in all gourami species) is not directed at one poor female, who in a 20g has no room to escape. A trio in a 20g is fine, but not with the skirts who will almost be prone to fin nip in this small space. "Nippy" fish do this more in small numbers and small spaces, as scientific studies have proven. The krib, maybe, I will leave this for krib aquarists to comment, but this is not a "small" cichlid, and in general cichlids and gourami are not good companions as they are so much alike (males territorial, etc).

In the 29g, I would not add the Pearl Gourami. This is indeed a beauty, and is best in a small group of one male/two females, or two males/three plus females. But not in the 55g with the possibly-nipping tetras which are also too active for the gourami peace of mind. Loaches should be five or more; the Zebra, presumably Botia striata, is highly social and males need a decent group to be their boisterous selves without harm; too few and someone is likely to get picked on. Five seems to be minimum. I've not personally mixed loaches with corys, so I can't comment on that, but loaches are territorial. I also think the 55g would be better for the loaches, but that rainbow shark is likely to be trouble; these fish should not be combined as they are too alike.

In the 55g, I would increase the Colombian Tetra to 8-9. Six is the "magic" number, but many fail to realize this is only the suggested minimum to avoid real issues, and the more fish for a shoaling species the better. You can still put the skirts (in a larger number, say 7-9) in the 55g with these.

On the substrate, I would not mix sand and gravel in the same tank. Unless you have some means of permanently dividing them (with glass walls siliconed to the tank floor or similar) they will mix, meaning sand on the bottom and gravel on top. Aside from this, mixing the substrate immediately makes the tank look smaller; the same substrate expands the space.

Hope this helps.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Christ, Byron.....how do you know so much?!?!?!

:p :cheers:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Christ, Byron.....how do you know so much?!?!?!

:p :cheers:
Experience is obviously an important aspect of this hobby, and I have gained from more than 20 years; but years of research really pays dividends. And I haven't stopped; I learn more perhaps not every day but still quite a lot. I've also made it a specialized area of research to know fish habitats and fish behaviours/requirements because this is really the only guarantee of success, as per Dr. Loiselle's comment in my signature block.

Byron.

WolfaraRose

AC Members
May 8, 2014
So here is a revised list, from what I read (correct me if I'm wrong, I have a bit of dyslexic tendencies)

3x Dwarf Gouramis (1m 2f)
1x kribensis (unless I can be recommended something else that swims all over the tank that would be ok? NO GUPPIES please)
1x south american bumblebee catfish
??-??(and a schooling fish that would be okay for this tank?)

5x Zebra Loach (looked and read that a group of 3 should be fine) (or a group of 5 Kuhli loaches? They are smaller.)(read that they should be fine with the cories as long as there aren't a lot of corycats ie 8+)
6x Mixed color Corycats
1x pearl gourami (what similar sized fish can I add in place of this then? one that won't get eaten by ABF, but is a middle to top swimmer and won't conflict with the apistos?)

55 Gallon Planted Tank (Going with gravel, Easier for me to clean)

3x Swordtails (1m 2f)
1x rainbow Shark (I will monitor this one)
9x Columbian Tetras
6x guppies (ALL male, unless you think I could feed the fry to the ABF or would the Killi take care of any free swimming fry?)
6x Apple Snail, Mystery Snail, Malaysian Trumpet Snail, or Nerite Snails (which of these is best or is there a different one ya'll would recommend?)
9x Black and White Skirt tetras

Would the 55 be Overstocked with that?
Took out the BN Pleco (keeping the Albino, unless you think it will be okay with the BN and the additions?)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
In the 20g, given the gourami, I really would not add a kribensis. Also, males attain 4 inches, females 3 inches, which is quite a size for a standard 20g. A small shoaling fish would be a much better mix. I think the bumblebee catfish and the pleco should be OK together, but if others with experience say different, I won't argue.

In the 29g, leave out the Pearl Gourami. Rest OK, but remember kuhlii loaches can be unseen, by which I mean they love to hide, being nocturnal. The Botia striata will be out and about, more interest.

The 55g looks OK. On the guppy fry, though, do not use fish as food for other fish. First, there will be so many guppies that the other fish willnot possibly be able to control them anyway. But second and more importantly, fish are not nutritional food for other aquarium fish, quite the opposite.

Byron.

WolfaraRose

AC Members
May 8, 2014
Can you recommend a small shoaling fish please?

And I'll keep the loaches in mind, also what can I put in the Pearls place?

They will be all males then. Didn't quite want the fry to be food, was just recommended to have some females in there.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
So here is a revised list, from what I read (correct me if I'm wrong, I have a bit of dyslexic tendencies)

3x Dwarf Gouramis (1m 2f)
1x kribensis (unless I can be recommended something else that swims all over the tank that would be ok? NO GUPPIES please)
1x south american bumblebee catfish
??-??(and a schooling fish that would be okay for this tank?)

your tank is just too small for so many "centerpiece fish" as they say. you would be better off with ONE male DG, a group of 10 neon or glolite tetras, and a few corydoras of your choice. a 20G is just not large enough for multiple gouramis, even if they are in a group like that. add in the fact that female DG's are almost impossible to find, and you'll see that it just isnt a good idea.

5x Zebra Loach (looked and read that a group of 3should be fine) (or a group of 5 Kuhli loaches? They are smaller.)(read that they should be fine with the cories as long as there aren't a lot of corycats ie 8+)
6x Mixed color Corycats
1x pearl gourami (what similar sized fish can I add in place of this then? one that won't get eaten by ABF, but is a middle to top swimmer and won't conflict with the apistos?)

this is waaaaaayy too much for the bottom of the tank. the pearl will be fine on its own in the 29, but consider having the corydoras OR the loaches OR the apistos. breeding apistos can be nasty, but you could get away with a group of four corydoras (juhli, panda, etc) that stay smaller and can evade them. I have heard too many stories of larger apistos (and GBR's and bolivian rams) that have pecked the eyes out of corydoras simply because the corydoras dont "get" the whole territory thing. personally, I don't ever recommend butterflyfish for anything but specimen tanks. too many things can go wrong, especially with boisterous loaches. you would be better off with a group of tetras or rasboras.

55 Gallon Planted Tank (Going with gravel, Easier for me to clean)

3x Swordtails (1m 2f)
1x rainbow Shark (I will monitor this one)
9x Columbian Tetras
9x Black and White Skirttetras

Would the 55 be Overstocked with that?

overall, i like this tank stock the best. personally, I would go with ONE species of livebearer and ONE species of tetra for a more cohesive look, but it can work in your tank. a few notes on the GWK: they tend to be territorial and WILL EAT ANYTHING they can fit in their mouths. a fully grown golden wonder could easily take out a male guppy, even a female. personally I think you should also consider adding a group of corydoras or loaches instead of that shark. rainbow sharks can be pretty nasty; a friend of mine had one that killed tiger barbs. the tank is large enough so that the corydoras or loaches should be able to stay out of the way of the rams should they breed (they will).

Took out the BN Pleco (keeping the Albino, unless you think it will be okay with the BN and the additions?)
comments in maroon (?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store