losing 1 celestial pearl danio's a day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nathan.G

AC Members
hello and please help!

I have had tanks all my life and decided to joint the world of hi-tech heavily planted tanks. I set up a 40 breeder with sump that has tons of bio media and the florite from my 29 gal (which is now the sump) from there it goes through a 125 sqft cartidge filter. I have 6 or so amano shrimp a small herd of cherry shrimp ,5 oto's, 1 SAE, 4 panda garra's, and to round it off i really wanted cpd's, after month's my LFS got some in. I bought 22. small fish big tank. I did a large water change before adding them to closely match the water they were coming from. I even used the same water they use in their tanks. did a slow drip for 6 hrs to acclimate them. All seemed fine for a week. I did a 5 gall water change using the same "plant water'' which is about 10% or a lil less,I usually do about 10% every other day. I lost 6 by morning! the day after i lost 3 more. and now on average i lose 1 every day. I have 2 left and a little heart broken and little more broke! and scared to do water changes

Water:
gh 10
kh 6
ph 7.2 now was down to 6.9
amm 0 nitrates 0 nitrites are trace and so is phos
I dose with pferts phos, and nitrogen sparingly i have ada aqua soil for the plants, Also dose with leaf for micros and potassium

Any help is appreciated

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sounds like a bad batch. Is there any left at LFS?? Are they having any problem??

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
How young are they would you estimate? With high tech does the pH fluctuate ? Do have a continuous meter? To me it sounds like pH fluctuation may be hurting them. If you're new to high tech this might a problem area? I found my CPDs to be picky eaters but I don't they would die so quickly due to that. Does your SAE pick on them? There's a member here that breeds CPDs maybe he can chime in.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Btw, do you a circulation pump? Are filter intakes covered. If they get stuck by suction they will surely die.

Nathan.G

AC Members
all were sold days after arrival, i know the lfs quite well and they said that no one has said anything yet,

i have a ph controller and i have a 2-3 bps but also lots of water top water circulation plus water falls to sump so i get a lot of off gassing. i have never had it vary more than .1 +/- even within the first few hours of light off.

age not sure. i would say they are weren't too young because there hasn't been much growth in size in the last month.

nothing in the tank seemed to bother them. i watch my tank from lights on to off, about 6 hrs and the only thing the SAE messes with are the ottos and thats only when i add zucchini or spinach for them

and for circulation i just use my returns from the sump, i set it up so i have higher flow areas and little to no flow areas, they seemed to prefer a middle ground spot by some drift wood and a bushy plant and the over flow pipe is covered by a screen that allows skimming action with out much of a draw for fish to get stuck to

and food, i have healthy eaters i change it up from a mix of granular, an omega super color flake, and some dried blood worms ground to rough powder small enough for them to eat, and every couple of days i feed them frozen dalphina

got home and still have 2 so no more dead yet

and no signs of sickness or ill heath, lights come on and there dead no gasping nothing,

i have my ph so low now im running like 14 on the co2/kh scale to the plants drop checker is a bluish green. im just scare to turn up co2 any more

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
What is "plant water"? And what did you mean when you said using the same water as lfs?

Nathan.G

AC Members
its just a mix they make from RO/DI where they balance it out to a kh of 7 and gh of 10, with Equilibrium and seachem alk buffer. i use it because the water in phoenix is bad. real bad. toxic medals, arsenic, we get water scares all the time. and im a pool guy and i know the water is insanely hard. some areas have a calcium hardness of 300 out of the tap.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
If the lfs has had no massive deaths but you experienced 90% death rate, I'd say something in your tank unfortunately killed them. EPA sets high enough standards for tap water so I don't think it would be that toxic. Hard maybe so, but you can soften it with distilled. My best guess is chemical contamination when you did a WC. Perhaps your bucket was the source?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store