Dont use paintball Co2???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I found this while researching. I was curious if there is any truth to this and should we be concerned?

Also , make sure when you purchase your CO2 that its "Food Grade " . Ive been told that you really shouldnt use the same CO2 that is used for paintball as some of it is lubricated

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How do you lubricate a gas?

My understanding is that there's no such thing as 'food-grade' CO2. But it could be something to do with the actual tank having lubricated fittings?

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
There is industrial, medical and food grading. But IMHO they are all well generally within acceptable purity for aquarium use. But I suppose some industrial sources might have oil and grit in the cannister?

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I found this on a aquaponics website I believe. They are geared towards everything being edible so...maybe if we ate out fish it might be a concern, IDK.

Side note they say prime is not safe to de-chlorinate water for use in a aquaponics system as well...because prime says the FDA has not evaluated their product for consumption. but they only recommend drinking water if you do ingest some.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've worked in the medical, industrial, food and drug grade gasses business for going on 18yrs as a production tech. We don't do CO2 at the facility I work at, but I've been to CO2 plants. Most of them are built onsite at oil refineries and chemical plants and take in their waste stream CO2, clean it, pressurize to condense it or turn it to dry ice blocks or pellets. Point is, anytime you sip your coke or perk up your plants, have that thought in the back of your mind. LOL!

Oddly enough, like psyche touched upon. Often, the purity specs for industrial grade product are tighter than that of medical grade. Go figure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store