Removing the frame from an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Is it viable? Just taking the trim off and cleaning up the edges and using it like that?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Probably depends on the size of the tank. Maybe up to 20 gallons or so? How big is the tank? Is it glass or plastic tank? I have a 5 gallon frameless on top.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
As already stated, a small tank can stay with no frame. A larger tank would need the frame replaced. Replacement frames are available for most brands. I replaced a frame on a 120 a number of years ago. It is possible.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Probably depends on the size of the tank. Maybe up to 20 gallons or so? How big is the tank? Is it glass or plastic tank? I have a 5 gallon frameless on top.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It's a 75g glass. Previously used as a snake tank, but the heat lamp melted the center brace.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
For a 48" 75g, the center brace is VERY important. The front and back glass will bow outward without the brace, and probably fail soon after

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
For a 48" 75g, the center brace is VERY important. The front and back glass will bow outward without the brace, and probably fail soon after
So what if I was able to get a glass center brace and glue and silicone it on?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If the center brace damage is as bad as it seems you should try eurobracing. Alot of members on MFK used this method with success

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I wouldn't chance the glass brace. The used tank that I bought failed. I had it repaired with a glass centre brace and the silicon let go and the tank again started to bow. Better to replace the frame or get a new tank.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The glass edges may not be smooth once you remove the plastic trim frame so the edges would need to be sanded or eased to reduce injury.

I also don't recommend removing the frame without adding additional support, either through replacing the OEM frame or bracing with glass strips that are the same thickness as the tank glass.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't use a 75g w/out the center brace. The center brace is quite large on my newer Aqueon 75g. I'd determine what you have first. Is it an Aqueon/All-glass (Central Garden and Pet), or is it a Marineland (United Pet Group)? Go from there ordering a new top frame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store