KH = 1; GH = 2. What do I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I converted from gravel to MGOCPM (potting soil) about 4 weeks ago and I'm having these KH and GH problems. Tap water is very soft. I have some Equilibrium for the GH, but I don't have the ingredients for KH. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Steven, what are the fish species in this tank (present or intended)? And what plant species? This should govern any fiddling with the GH and KH. Also, do you intend using diffused CO2, or staying natural? I will offer what I can when I know this data.

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Steven, what are the fish species in this tank (present or intended)? And what plant species? This should govern any fiddling with the GH and KH. Also, do you intend using diffused CO2, or staying natural? I will offer what I can when I know this data.

Byron.
Byron,

I have a 10g tank with six Pristella Tetras. pH used to be 7.6 (with gravel substrate, before dirt), KH 3, GH 5.

The fish are eating well, high-end flake food. I don't think the fish are the problem for the moment - it's the plants. I have some Cyanobacteria. There's some dissolved organic carbon that I have to siphon out pronto. And I do have pretty strong lights suspended over the tank six inches. I should take down the photoperiod from 9 hours to 8 hours.

I also need to resume 50% wc per week - I've lapsed for a few weeks.

I have 3 ruffled? Swords, a couple of crypts, some plants that I ID'd as Water Weed, Java Moss, and some plants that grow in a circle and have some pink on top. I'll post a pic tonight.

I'm going to stay low-tech (no diffused CO2) and I don't know, maybe I'll add a school of dwarf corys.

Thanks very much Byron.

Steven

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Byron,

I have a 10g tank with six Pristella Tetras. pH used to be 7.6 (with gravel substrate, before dirt), KH 3, GH 5.

The fish are eating well, high-end flake food. I don't think the fish are the problem for the moment - it's the plants. I have some Cyanobacteria. There's some dissolved organic carbon that I have to siphon out pronto. And I do have pretty strong lights suspended over the tank six inches. I should take down the photoperiod from 9 hours to 8 hours.

I also need to resume 50% wc per week - I've lapsed for a few weeks.

I have 3 ruffled? Swords, a couple of crypts, some plants that I ID'd as Water Weed, Java Moss, and some plants that grow in a circle and have some pink on top. I'll post a pic tonight.

I'm going to stay low-tech (no diffused CO2) and I don't know, maybe I'll add a school of dwarf corys.

Thanks very much Byron.

Steven
This tells me a lot, thanks. I expect you will remember from our past discussions elsewhere that I have never messed with dirt substrates so my suggestions are more general in nature rather than from direct experience.

First, soil substrates tend to cause various problems during the first few months, with many reliable sources suggesting six months. During this period, ammonia is likely to rise, so keep an eye on that; the plants will not be able to fully handle this, so it can be severe. This unsettled situation and especially with the high organics in the soil is the cause of the cyanobacteria. Water changes should be substantial during this entire period.

Lighting with soil should not be bright. Moderate light is what the soil enthusiasts suggest. Remember that reducing the duration can help, but the intensity itself is still significance whatever the photoperiod. The plants mentioned are low and moderate light requiring, except perhaps for the un-named which your photo may help with.

To the parameters. If the GH was 5, presumably this was the source water (tap)? Unless something calcareous in the former gravel raised it. That is ideal for plants, just right on. I expect the organics in the soil that are decomposing will lessen the GH. Adding it back via Equilibrium is one option. Removing the soil and saving money on Equilibrium is another of course.

I wouldn't worry about the KH. Mine is zero and has been for over 20 years. As long as you stay with soft water fish you are fine if the pH lowers. But it obviously can go too far, and here regular weekly water changes will prevent this. What is the pH now?

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Hi Byron,

I guess I got the KH and GH a little confused - KH is 1 dKH and GH is 2 dGH. And the water level is a little down - no glass top. But here's the picture:

IMG_0001_20.JPG

IMG_0001_20.JPG

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
OK, with the new numbers for GH, presumably this being the tap water, you will need to add the "hard" minerals and Equilibrium is about the easiest way to do this. Bring the GH up to 4 or 5 dGH and the plants should be fine. Named fish won't have a problem with this either.

The KH I would still not bother with, but be regular (weekly) with 40-50% water changes, and check the pH from time to time, prior to the water change.

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Thanks! I always had about 3 dKH and 5dGH with 50% water changes per week with about 3 dGH Equilibrium. There is a lot of peat in the MGOCPM. I saw the pH go from 7.6 to 6.7 and back up to 7.6

So I can expect to maintain the buffer with the 50% per week water changes and GH with water changes and Equilibrium.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Thanks! I always had about 3 dKH and 5dGH with 50% water changes per week with about 3 dGH Equilibrium. There is a lot of peat in the MGOCPM. I saw the pH go from 7.6 to 6.7 and back up to 7.6

So I can expect to maintain the buffer with the 50% per week water changes and GH with water changes and Equilibrium.
I would expect the pH to lower below 7 and remain there, after perhaps a few weeks. My 50% water changes with tap at 7.0 to 7.2 and tanks running at pH 5 (some) or 6.4 do not affect these levels. The tank's biological equilibrium over-rides. The cause of the tap water pH of course plays into this, and yours may be different.

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I would expect the pH to lower below 7 and remain there, after perhaps a few weeks. My 50% water changes with tap at 7.0 to 7.2 and tanks running at pH 5 (some) or 6.4 do not affect these levels. The tank's biological equilibrium over-rides. The cause of the tap water pH of course plays into this, and yours may be different.

Byron.
In my case, tap pH is over 8, apparently because they use chemicals to buffer up the pH to reduce heavy metal leaching. In tank, the pH was 7.6.

I imagine the reason the KH went down was that it was neutralizing the acid in the peat. I'm also guessing that the tap GH is very low, and remained the same as it was before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store