Two Questions, if Anyone Could Help: AquaClear 110 Media & Python Water Changer...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
First, I have been running my AquaClear 110 with a simple media arrangement comprised of the sponge/foam block on the bottom and just two smaller bags of BioMax on top of it -- that's it. Normally, I'd run two sacks of the 100ml packages of Purigen after the sponge and before the BioMax, but I haven't gotten around to buying new ones...my question is, can I run the AquaClear 110 with just the foam block and the BioMax and nothing else? For a frame of reference: I do have another filter on this 60-gallon goldfish tank, an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, and I do perform rigorous water change maintenance on it, with the tank getting a weekly 50% change and a 15-gallon "mid week" change for extra cleanliness...so the water change schedule is aggressive and the water ALWAYS smells and looks clean. Given this, do I HAVE to get Purigen to run in the 110 or can I get away with just the sponge and BioMax? The tank isn't overstocked, with three small-to-medium fancies in a 60-gallon...

Should I get another sponge to stick in the 110's basket, or maybe more BioMax? The stuff I'm running right now is Hagen's "replacement" media (sold separately from the "in the box" stuff that comes with the filters) when owners need "new" media (which I did because of an infection that broke out in my previous tank -- a story for another time) but I have noticed that the sponge block is getting kinda crappy and "brittle," even coming off in crummy pieces when I dunk it in removed tank water for maintenance...I have read Hagen's "new" line of media is crappy junk like this, but should I replace this sponge or just add to it?

Now -- my second question is about these "python" style water changers, which I am thinking of switching to because the way I do the changes now have been leading to severe arm pain and trouble, as I use the bucket method...I would like to begin getting into using the sink faucet pythons but don't know much about them at all. My goal would be to, of course, suck the old tank water out with the hose, let it drain into the bathtub and then reverse the process so the fresh tap water could flow back into the tank (dechlorinized, of course, with Prime)...do these "pythons" do this? Further, I am in need of an EXTREMELY long run for the syphon tubing because of where my bathroom is in relation to the tank -- I'm talking MANY many feet...do they make python tubing this long, or would I need to join smaller lengths together? Ideally, I'd like to get an EXTREMELY long one-piece run going...

Thank you in advance for any help.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
To answer the aquaclear question, yes you can. I run one sponge and 2 biomax on my aquaclear. Ive been doing so for over a year with no harm. You can do different arrangements of media to suit your needs.

Im not much help with a python.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply, 'trom...

To answer the aquaclear question, yes you can. I run one sponge and 2 biomax on my aquaclear. Ive been doing so for over a year with no harm. You can do different arrangements of media to suit your needs.
Oh, well, I'm not even so sure what my "needs" are; I just know that I'm only running one sponge and the two small sacks of BioMax, as provided in Hagen's "replacement" media box you buy at the LFS...I suppose what I wanted to know was does any OTHER kind of media HAVE to be in the AquaClears, or is this arrangement okay?

Im not much help with a python.

Oh, okay -- what do you use to do water changes?

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I've never been a fan of using potable water to drain anything. You are going to be using a hose with a python. So instead just get e flexible lightweight garden hose and a quick disconnect that fits your faucet. get the hose filled with water from the faucet. Turn off the water and disconnect the hose and let it drain.
You can put a valve on the tank end for control. To fill just attach the hose and fill. Use the valve on the tank end to control the water and shut it off when the tank is filled. At least that way the water wasted is only enough to fill the hose for draining.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I've never been a fan of using potable water to drain anything. You are going to be using a hose with a python. So instead just get e flexible lightweight garden hose and a quick disconnect that fits your faucet. get the hose filled with water from the faucet. Turn off the water and disconnect the hose and let it drain.
You can put a valve on the tank end for control. To fill just attach the hose and fill. Use the valve on the tank end to control the water and shut it off when the tank is filled. At least that way the water wasted is only enough to fill the hose for draining.
Thank you for your reply, George, but I am truly confused as to what you are referring to (the process)...all I want to do is to be able to take water OUT of the tank by way of a syphon, which would run all the way to our bathtub (on the other side of the house from the aquarium), and then RETURN fresh water back INTO the tank from the faucet of the same bathtub/bathroom, thus eliminating the carrying of the multiple buckets which I'm doing now, and which is destroying my arm...:irked:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
No other media has to he used. Since you have goldfish, two sponge blocks and one biomax would work well since goldfish are messy.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
No other media has to he used. Since you have goldfish, two sponge blocks and one biomax would work well since goldfish are messy.

Thank you, Kyle...

Are you recommending ANOTHER sponge block be added, or can I leave well enough alone with one block and the BioMax?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
On the Python, yes you can do what you suggest provided the Python is attached to a threaded faucet [I'll explain momentarily]. George is concerned over wasting tap water, which is certainly a very important issue these days, and he was explaining how you can avoid this by draining the tanks directly into the garden, thus using the tank water for garden watering.

I used to live in a condo and had no place to drain tank water except down the sink, so I got used to it. The Python attaches to a faucet...you need one with threads like a garden faucet to which a hose would be attached. I use my laundry room sink faucet now, and had one of the threaded taps installed for this. You turn on the tap water (I use cold, and just a bit), and this creates a suction that siphons water out of the tank. You can move the gravel cleaning end around the tank to vacuum the substrate, or just leave it hanging. When ready to reverse, there is a valve at the faucet attachment that if turned will direct the tap water into the tank (mix hot and cold for this).

Byron.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
On the Python, yes you can do what you suggest provided the Python is attached to a threaded faucet [I'll explain momentarily]. George is concerned over wasting tap water, which is certainly a very important issue these days, and he was explaining how you can avoid this by draining the tanks directly into the garden, thus using the tank water for garden watering.

I used to live in a condo and had no place to drain tank water except down the sink, so I got used to it. The Python attaches to a faucet...you need one with threads like a garden faucet to which a hose would be attached. I use my laundry room sink faucet now, and had one of the threaded taps installed for this. You turn on the tap water (I use cold, and just a bit), and this creates a suction that siphons water out of the tank. You can move the gravel cleaning end around the tank to vacuum the substrate, or just leave it hanging. When ready to reverse, there is a valve at the faucet attachment that if turned will direct the tap water into the tank (mix hot and cold for this).

Byron.
Thanks Byron!

This sounds confusing and is making me want to second guess buying one of them; you have to START the water in the faucet so it begins the suctioning for the REMOVAL of the tank water? :eek:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thanks Byron!

This sounds confusing and is making me want to second guess buying one of them; you have to START the water in the faucet so it begins the suctioning for the REMOVAL of the tank water? :eek:
Yes. Turning the cold water tap on is what creates the suction to pull water from the tank. Once started however, you can (as George was saying) stop the tap water and continue draining the tank water though more slowly, and this can run down the sink. I know that a few times when I have disconnected the Python from the tap to use the tap to rinse the filter and the other end was still in the tank, it continued to drain the tank but very slowly. If the "drain" is lower, say outside, then it would presumably be faster.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store