What care in weekly water change of cycled tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
I have cycled tank:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80-160 ppm

I do 50% weekly water change with tap water (don't have RO machine)

My tap water has chlorine..

I do put dechlorine for fish before adding this tap water..

For the nitryfing bacteria what care should I take before this water change?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I add the dechlorinator to the tank just after I start re-filling it using the Python connected to the faucet. And I only add roughly the amount for the fresh water being added. Some say you should dose the entire tank volume, but that is only using twice the dechlorinator un-necessarily. This stuff isn't inexpensive, but more importantly you don't need all this chemical going into the tank.

You want to lower the nitrate, down below 20 ppm, via water changes. Assuming this nitrate is not from the tap water itself, of course. Have you tested the tap water alone?

Byron.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I treat the entire tank volume with prime and sodium thiosulfate solution. Our local water company often shocks the water system and the chlorine/chloramine can be very high. This is the reason I use both for my water changes. I add the treatment as I'm refilling the tank.

Mark

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Many thanks byron and wesley..

Does refilled water having chlorine kill nitryfing bacteria ?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Chlorine works by oxidizing organics. By adding your dechlorinator as you add the new water, the chlorine is quickly neutralized and doesn't harm the nitrifying bacteria. If left untreated, the chlorine will kill the good bacteria and damage your fish's gills. An interesting point was made by RTR many years ago about the damage chlorine can do in different tank situations. Those tanks which were kept pristine with frequent water changes and adequate filtration ran the risk of chlorine doing more damage to the bacteria and inhabitants than in those tanks which were less scrupulously maintained. Those tanks which were poorly maintained had more organics present in the water column. The chlorine which came into contact with these organics was quickly used up oxidizing the organics and less chlorine was present to possibly damage inhabitants.

Mark

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Wonderful explanation wesley.. shows there is so much interesting stuff to understand when one feels just something is understood. .ain't that the fun and joy of a hobby :)..

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have cycled tank:

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80-160 ppm

I do 50% weekly water change with tap water (don't have RO machine)

My tap water has chlorine..

I do put dechlorine for fish before adding this tap water..

For the nitryfing bacteria what care should I take before this water change?

Like said above, your nitrates are much higher than most fishkeepers would recommend maintaining. You didn't mention what size tank this is, and what you have in it, but given you do 50% WWCs, it sounds like you are overstocked. You should be doing fin-level water changes, and maybe more often than once per week.

Byron and Mark, thanks for posting your experience with adding dechlorinator. I too have been dosing the whole tank on my 75g, given I refill by hose. I use Seachem Prime. I hate to add more than I need to. I may try a bit less. On my 55g and under, I refill by 5gal bucket, so the buckets get treated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store