New fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I have a 29 gallon tank. A beta, 2 blue gourami, 2 bala shark, and a crab. I am probably going to get some more fish tomorrow. What kind do you reccomend. I am not getting the frog. I heard the crab will kill it.

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
well first I think that your tank is pretty crowded cause them bala sharks will get 14inches so i would get a bigger tank first like a 75g

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like kind of a bad mix overall. The bala sharks get really big as already mentioned, and IMO having the gouramis and betta together is a bit risky.

Kind of hard to reccomend any other fish considering the current inhabitants I would say.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I have had the beta and gouramis for over 2 weeks. Nothing. And I have heard that fish will only get as big as there sourounings. Is that true?

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by wheresmyloach
I have had the beta and gouramis for over 2 weeks. Nothing. And I have heard that fish will only get as big as there sourounings. Is that true?
Bettas especially are known for their propensity to suddenly "snap" one day -- even if they seem fine now, there is some risk in keeping bettas with other anabantids (like gouramis). Do what you want, just know there could be trouble down the line.

As far as fish/tank size, this thread has all you need to know. Long story short: it's not true.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Balas are horrible fish when they are in small groups and in small tanks. They get skittish and are well knwon for attempting to leave or attempting to crash through the glass to get away. A 75 would be a minimum for them in a group of 5 or more.

Betta and gouramis are well known for just sort of hanging around. They would be a prime candidate for that crab to grab a snack. Plus crabs need to escape the water for short periods of time and are generally considered brackish and not freshwater. Without the ability to leave the water and without a brackish setup the crab will probably have a pretty short life.

I would have to agree that it is hard to recommend more fish with that setup.

Definatley read that link.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I've had golden gourami (same specie as your blue) pretty much kick around everything in my tank. They are sort of on the aggressive side, yours are probably young right now but when they hit adulthood, you will have a couple terrors on your hands unless you get a bigger tank and seperate them from your betta (which will probably be killed once the gourami snap).

As already mentioned, bala sharks get VERY big and spastic if they are not treated as they should be. I would take them back unless your ready to get a big tank, I would even go as far to say that a 75g cannot hold the proper sized shoal that they need... A 125g is more like it.

Most crabs, I am going to assume you have fiddler crab, need to be able to get out of the water. They are best suited in paludarium (basically a half and half tank, some where between aquarium and terrarium). He should be returned as well unless you are ready to accomodate him, possibly in his own, smaller tank. If your not careful, he will find a way out, fall off the edge of the tank, and probably die.

Really, the only fish suited for your tank is the betta. IMO two adult blue gourami need more space if they are to be kept together and they shouldn't be mixed with bettas.

Personally, I would take the balas, the gourami, and the crab back. Then I would look into smaller tetra species, like neons, cardinals, or glowlights, get about 10 of them. Then I would get 4-5 kuhli loaches or cory catfish.

HTH

EDIT: Has this tank been cycled?

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
be quiet about the bala sharks getting huge, they are probably the slowest growing fish out there!! I have had a 4 inch bala in a 90 gallon for a year now, and its not even any bigger!!!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Umm why sould we be quiet? If the balas are kept in too small of a tank, regardless of how fast they grow, they will probably be stunted in size and not live a long life. They are also a school fish and tend to freak out when kept in small numbers.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
The crab is fresh water. He is kepted in fresh water at the pet store. He is ment for water not air. And I will be looking at in awhile getting a bigger tank. And yes bala sharks get big but they are slow growers and the crab is not aggresive. We have had him over 2 weeks and nothing wrong. No fighting at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store