Can I keep outdoor pond fish indoor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyMooMoo

AC Members
Feb 16, 2011
I took a long hiatus from the hobby so I'm busted back down to newbie status :).

I took down my pond last winter and decided to get back to the hobby of fish keeping indoors. What I kept were 6 baby koi, a group of mosquito fish, and a handful of trapdoor pond snails all housed in a 28 gallon.

The power filter kept everything clear with frequent water changes but I ended up ordering 2 sponge filters to supplement it. There is also a long bubbler stone present.

The mosquito fish seem to be breeding regularly. I once was doing a water change and noticed 6-10 little fry. When I came back a few minutes later, they all had disappeared. They are breeding but not adding to the population due to cannibalism or snack fodder for the koi.

As for the trapdoors, I had an explosion of them. They produce a surprising amount of waste. I've been pulling them out by hand and recently added some assassin snails. It's been very warm here so the assassins are doing fine without a heater in the tank.

The koi are steadily growing and are hungry little buggers.

On top of this, I recently started up a 15 gallon as a fun side project. All of the fish in here are small juvies but I would like to eventually transfer some out to the 28 gallon when it becomes available. Currently thriving and not a problem to maintain.

Also, the 28 gal is planted but is mostly full of anacharis. ilikeguppies on this forum included some starter plants and extras for my 15g when I bought some assassins and beautiful red plecos. (sorry for the plug :p)

Anyway, I'm going to be moving but I don't know the exact date. Can I continue to keep them in here? What would you recommend?

LONG STORY SHORT, 28 gallon beginning to get crowded, what do?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I recommend either rehome the fish or get a bigger tank. Koi get huge. They would need a tank that is hundreds of gallons. I suspect the disappearing fry is cannabilism. Not uncommon at all

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree. We've no idea what size the "baby koi" are now, but these fish need lots and lots of space to grow healthily, or they will be stunted and very, very soon. A 28g is not at all sufficient.

Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's the problem with koi/comets. I think they're kind of underrated in terms of being fun fish with lots of personality, but they really need massive sized tanks to be kept indoors.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Even a 100 gallon would be too small for one adult koi (if they were truly koi and not comet goldfish), nevermind 5 of them. Adult koi grow up to 3 feet long! If they're comet goldfish, then a 100 gallon will house 5 nicely. The way to tell the difference is to check if they have barbels or "whiskers". If they do have whiskers then you have yourself some koi. If they're whisker-less, then they're common or comet goldfish.

Koi should generally not be kept indoors, in my opinion. The exception is if you're one who keeps "monster" fish and has the resources to build a several hundred gallon enclosure. If you can rehome them to someone with an outdoor pond that would be for the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store