Is this normal Corydoras Panda behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Can you guys check video out and let me know if this is normal panda Cory behavior?
http://youtu.be/JqgJpWSLSz8

[YT]JqgJpWSLSz8&feature[/YT]

Any help appreciated,
Patricia

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited by a moderator:

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I hope I'm seeing 2 Pandas in there, and not just one's reflection off the glass walls ! LOL
It doesn't seem to be normal, or usual, behavior.

If that is 2 Pandas, in my view it appears there could be 2 possibilities - one good - one not so good:
One - good: It could possibly be mating behavior
Two - not so good - they may be moving to the top for more oxygen - far more frequently than they would normally do - a sign of a lack of oxygen in the tank water ?
Corys often do move up & down the glass, but that frequency of behavior seems to be a little odd - overkill.
Am I imagining things ? LOL

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I hope I'm seeing 2 Pandas in there, and not just one's reflection off the glass walls ! LOL
It doesn't seem to be normal, or usual, behavior.

If that is 2 Pandas, in my view it appears there could be 2 possibilities - one good - one not so good:
One - good: It could possibly be mating behavior
Two - not so good - they may be moving to the top for more oxygen - far more frequently than they would normally do - a sign of a lack of oxygen in the tank water ?
Corys often do move up & down the glass, but that frequency of behavior seems to be a little odd - overkill.
Am I imagining things ? LOL
There is 1 panda Cory. That is their reflection. Please don't tell me it's dying.
Water Parameters:
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrates-10ppm
pH-6.6
Temp-75°F

20 gallon high tank
AquaClear 50 filter
Planted

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
OK, thanks, Patricia - I wondered if I was seeing things that weren't there. LOL

Any other fish in that tank with the Panda ? Is there any décor, substrate or plants in there ?
How long has the Panda been in the tank, how long has that behavior been going on, and is it still continuing ?

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
OK, thanks, Patricia - I wondered if I was seeing things that weren't there. LOL

Any other fish in that tank with the Panda ? Is there any décor, substrate or plants in there ?
How long has the Panda been in the tank, how long has that behavior been going on, and is it still continuing ?
Thanks Paul,
In my 20 gallon high tank "planted", there are :
4 panda cories
4 Cardinal Tetras
3 Nerite Snails

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
It might be important to know how long you've had those Pandas in that tank - and did you get them all at the same time ? Is that one Panda the only one doing that, and as I asked before, how long has he been doing that, and is he still doing it ?

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
It might be important to know how long you've had those Pandas in that tank - and did you get them all at the same time ? Is that one Panda the only one doing that, and as I asked before, how long has he been doing that, and is he still doing it ?
I had them since May 14, 2014. Got them all at the same time. Yes only that one but he is not doing that specific behavior but he is playing under the current of the out flow now.

He does go up but he does not take a gulp of air.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
So you've had them less than a week, but I'm assuming they're all doing ok and seemingly behaving normally - otherwise I believe you would have said so.

Well you know, I've kept many different Corydoras over the years, and one thing I have to say about them is that occasionally they can be very playful. It sounds like that one in particular is quite playful - and that might just be normal behavior for him or her - so don't worry about it, and just enjoy that one's particular personality.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
So you've had them less than a week, but I'm assuming they're all doing ok and seemingly behaving normally - otherwise I believe you would have said so.

Well you know, I've kept many different Corydoras over the years, and one thing I have to say about them is that occasionally they can be very playful. It sounds like that one in particular is quite playful - and that might just be normal behavior for him or her - so don't worry about it, and just enjoy that one's particular personality.

Please keep an eye on it though, to make sure it takes a gulf of air once in a while (Corys need to do that) - while you do have a 20 gal tall, that should not prevent those 4 Cories from reaching the top for air when they need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store