Golden long finned Danio with a white foreign body on it's tail NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok I suck at diagnosing disease but am not sure if this is something to worry about. Is this something or is it nothing and if it is what is this? The situation as it stands. I have been restocking successfully up to this point I might add my 36 gallon corner bow which is cycled for years. I originally had one bleeding heart tetra in this tank the sole survivor the other fish died from old age. I have in this tank as of tonight. 6 bleeding heart tetras, 7 harlequin rasboras which actually were just added to the tank tonight after a month's time in QT with no issues noted & 5 long finned golden danios which were added a month ago. All fish went through a month's time in QT and are healthy. Tonight after I added the rasboras I noticed that one of my golden long finned danios has something on it's tail it looks white but am not sure what it is. None of the other fish have this. Everyone in the tank is doing great swimming actively, eating etc.

Last Thurs I did a water change after doing a water check I thought I might be overfeeding the fish and thought I better test the water. I definitely was overfeeding I had an ammonia spike to 2.0 which freaked me out since it was at 0 for the longest time. I immediately did a 55% water change and all has been fine since ammonia right back down to 0 and has stayed that way. Again tonight ammonia is at 0. I am not sure what is on this danio's tail I took a pic to view fish is in the top left hand side in the middle near the heater so if anyone can help me out please asap need advise. My dilemma is I already have 6 cories in QT tonight along with another harlequin rasbora and another golden long finned danio. If this is something that I need to treat should I remove this danio into a small container or treat in the 36 gallon? I don't want to use QT because these are new fish in there that show no disease thus far. I only have pima fix and aquarisol in the house. I really hate when this happens and I don't know what the problem is especially since the fish were fine through the whole QT process and the other fish are fine. Please someone help me I need some guidance. I don't want to medicate healthy fish unnecessarily. Check out the pic posted. THANK YOU!!!!!! How I feel right now lol. :duh:

photo.JPG

Last edited:

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Looks like fungus. I would do frequent large water changes and monitor closely. If other fish develop the same thing, I would treat the whole tank. Hold off adding more fish until this resolves.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok thanks I thought fungus is what it might be but was not absolutely sure. I had a bleeding heart tetra that looked like it had fungus on its fin a while back I didn't medicate but did water changes and it just went away. Am not adding anymore fish. The rasboras were through the QT period of a month this was actually the 5th week in QT with no issues and were due to go into the 36 gallon.... ofcourse after I added them I had noticed the issue with the danio. My luck go figure. I hate medicating when I am not exactly sure what the illness is. Hopefully this is the type of thing that will just clear up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store