JUST GOT THESE CORYS FORGOT THE NAME NEED HELP WITH ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Just got these guys tonight they are in QT pet store said the name but I forgot just that the name started with an M. Can someone ID them?

cory.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks like Corydoras Melanistis. The "banded" cat.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I was thinking C. melanotaenia aka golden or Corydoras aeneus aka Bronze Cory.
uploadfromtaptalk1400760827965.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1400760827965.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I think Jessica got it, Corydoras melanistius is the likely species. The dorsal blotch is very faint, but this will likely colour up as the fish settle.

BTW, in a QT tank, it is good to have some cover. Fish should stay in this tank for 3+ weeks, and having no cover is highly stressful. A couple chunks of wood (artificial is nice as you can easily wash it, whereas wood retains things), some river rock, or even some floating plants. And a thin substrate, sand preferably. Fish will settle faster with something other than a bare tank, and in fact, this could even cause problems due to the continued stress. Photo attached is my 20g QT for new arrivals, shown here when it was empty of fish; I keep this permanently running so I'm "ready."

Byron.

20g QT Aug 23-13.JPG

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I have a hood cover on the tank.I break down this tank & clean after the Qt process is done after all the fish have gone through the process. How do you keep your QT cycled with no fish in it and if a fish gets sick during QT process what do you do? You say you keep it constantly running. I keep a filter sponge in my 36 gallon for my QT so when am ready it cycles quickly no need to keep it running constantly only when I need to. Thanks on the ID corydora melanistis is correct :).

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have a hood cover on the tank.I break down this tank & clean after the Qt process is done after all the fish have gone through the process. How do you keep your QT cycled with no fish in it and if a fish gets sick during QT process what do you do? You say you keep it constantly running. I keep a filter sponge in my 36 gallon for my QT so when am ready it cycles quickly no need to keep it running constantly only when I need to. Thanks on the ID corydora melanistis is correct :).
The tank pictured is just the QT for new arrivals, not the hospital for sick fish, just so that is clear. If the new fish do come down with something, I treat them in this QT (I don't move them). Rarely (luckily) has this occurred, in fact I have only ever seen ich once or twice to date, but I leave the new fish in this tank for no less than 3 weeks, sometimes 5-6, depending upon what species as some can be more difficult feeding, etc. The plants are just "extras" from my main tanks which are all fairly heavily planted. If I need to discard them, it is no loss. But with the plants, the tank remains "active" even with no fish; I have had it run for a year without fish, at other times it might be a week or two between new fish.

This is just the easiest method for me, as I have a fish room so I have the space for this 20g to run permanently. And I am convinced that it does make a big difference putting new acquisitions into a tank that is "established" and has some sort of cover--and by cover I mean decor (wood, rock, plants) that the fish can use to hide under/behind/among and ease their stress.

Byron.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I have one QT that I use for new arrivals and if they get sick and I know what the illness is I can immediately treat or do what needs to be done to get the fish healthy. I break my QT down after each QT process is completed and clean the tank and filter. I always put a sponge for the QT in my healthy 36 gallon tank canister so when I need it for QT it is readily available and doing this method has worked for me more than once and was actually suggested to me by another member in aquaria central. I guess everyone does things their own way the process I have stuck by works for me and the fish do pretty well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store