New Tank ?'s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
I have a 29g that has been up about a month, the cycle is complete now I have a serious problem with some brown alae how long will it take for the bloom to end? I have about 20# of LR and 60watts of light. I also have some really dark purple algae that blows right of of the rocks(not a crust like the coraline) any idea what it may be, good-bad?

I have no doubt in the world that your mystery algae is Cyano Bacteria, also known as 'Red Slime.' This is hard to get rid of, especially when not using RO/DI water to start a new system this algae, along with green hair to be very common during a systems maturation. It will typically last about a month or two. A couple ways for control on this is to remove phosphates via a phosphate sponge, or use a competing algae. Caluerpa works well in this regard. Most fish or Inverts wont eat this stuff. Water changes are highly recommended, RO/DI water!

Likely you have high phosphates in the aquarium. You might want to think about soon getting a 'Clean up crew' This would consist of things like 10 Astreas, 5 Trochus, and a couple Cerith/Baha (from Sea of Cortez), 1 Fighting Conch, a couple Nassarius Snails, and _cerith _snails are all good part of a clean up crew. Some tiger tail cucumbers are also good, 1 will be enough, and these arent poisonous, like the other cucks.

PH =)

Last edited:

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I did buy a piece of rock with some macro algae on it, I forgot what she said it was anyway do you know any good algae identification links? Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store