My Purigen smells

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I regenerated it per instructions and the color is back to original but it smells like old fish. So it did a good job adsorbing organics but it didn't regenerate as expected. I'm certainly not going to put this smelly packet back in my tank. Anyone else experience this too?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Never had mine smell like old fish and some of my bags of been regen'd a dozen times. Maybe soak it again and see if it clears up.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
My couldn't stand the smell so she made me throw it out. I'm going to get a new one. My was left in the filter for about 6 months! I wonder if that was the problem. How often do you regen it? I was waiting for it get very dark but mine wasn't that dark so I left it in there. Maybe regen it monthly?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I usually do mine every 2-3 months I try not to let it get real dark, I let one go for a couple extra months once and it got super dark and never regen'd as light as my others still easy to spot that one when I regen them all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store