My first attempt at breeding CPDs/Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
So our hobby has quickly progressed to this stage. We setup our first display tank a year ago and will be trying to breed some CPDs and/or Toucan tetras. (we are not interested at live bearers ATM). This topic started in a different thread (Seachem Buffer) but I'd thought why not create a thread here.

Here's my FTS of the 20G long with a tank divider in it. Right side will be spawning tank. Not looking for a production line so if we get fry, then they will just grow in that side until they can be moved to the left side or in a different tank.

photo (8).JPG

Since they scatter their eggs, I decided to use subwassertang to "carpet" the bottom. I'm think if the eggs stay off the substrate, they might have better chance of hatching? Plus the fry can hide out if I don't remove the parents quickly enough.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

My GH and KH are 3, pH is 7.6, TDS is 54, temp 79, and nitrates are not detectable per API kit. My female CPD was fat couple weeks ago but no so much ATM, so will wait until she is ready again. My Toucan tetra is not ready yet, actually not sure if I have a female. May need to grow a bit more. I just got them recently.

Will give another update when it's time to them in the spawning side.

photo (8).JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I like how people have guppy or livebearer spawn and call themselves fish breeders....lol. Good on ya for going for more difficult fish to breed! Tank looks great.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys, it'll be educational for my kids to learn how to breed fish.

Yes more frogbit will go into the spawning side when I put the fish in there. I took most of the frogbit out to allow more light to hit my plants.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks! I rehomed all the shrimps from the spawning side but there a few small snails still in there. Should I rehome them too? Will they eat eggs?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
rofl@rachael.....I agree, too, that you should move the snails. Not a good mix.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
My female CPD is a bit chubby again, so I put the pair in the tank this evening.

Here's my female

IMG_0613.JPG

And the male

IMG_0614.JPG

Here they are happily together

IMG_0622.JPG

Here's a vid of what happened soon after I put them in the tank. Looks good, hoping for success.
Will get some cigars for the big event... hopefully.

[video=youtube_share;OejvIKbQ63c]http://youtu.be/OejvIKbQ63c[/video]

http://youtu.be/OejvIKbQ63c

IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0622.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store