complete breakdown and re-establish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Hello all. It's been a loooong time since I've been here. A busy life it's been for sure. Unfortunately I have neglected my tank and to make a long story short, have to completely break it down and re-establish.
My question is what would you do with a new tank setup? I have had SA Cichlids for the last few years. Tank is a custom 33" x 36" x 24", so around 120G.
Fire away!

I'm open to Freshwater or Salt water!

x2 Aquaclear 110's
x1 250W Aquaclear heater
x1 Aquaclear 150 powerhead w/filter
x1 light unit ( x2 65W compact flourescent lights and x1 150 metal halide lamp) (*I have multiple light output levels for the compacts*)

Thanks in advance for all possibilities!!
Cheers.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Without knowing your personal likes/dislikes in fish, possibilities are almost unlimited. I see you are in Mission, close to me in Pitt Meadows...if your source water is as soft as mine here in Greater Vancouver, staying with soft water fish will be the easiest. Most South American and SE Asian fish fall into this group, along with Central African (not Rift Lake which is East African and fairly hard water). Knowing the sort of fish usually available locally, and once I know your likes, I should be able to offer some options.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
That would make an absolutely killer sw fowlr/reef tank...you could do one or two larger fish, tang and angel maybe, and a decent school of smaller fish like chromis and have a pool sort of layout with your live rock.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Well, I am open to anything Byron, I like all types of fish. As you can see, my tank is a cube shape..... not long so I was thinking maybe an angel tank? Especially because of the water out here. (and yes it is very soft here as well).
I don't know alot about salt water but was thinking about it. I had a SW tank about 20 years ago and seemed to enjoy it.
Here are my thoughts for fresh water: either a huge school of smaller community fish like neons as the center or like I mentioned above, maybe a small school of 6-8 angels?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Yes, I had a look at reef tanks and was curious for sure.

Last edited:

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Yes, I had a look at reef tanks and was curious for sure. Thanks Rufioman. - I've posted this question in the SW general question as well as like I said..... I'm open to anything. :)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Well, I am open to anything Byron, I like all types of fish. As you can see, my tank is a cube shape..... not long so I was thinking maybe an angel tank? Especially because of the water out here. (and yes it is very soft here as well).
I don't know alot about salt water but was thinking about it. I had a SW tank about 20 years ago and seemed to enjoy it.
Here are my thoughts for fresh water: either a huge school of smaller community fish like neons as the center or like I mentioned above, maybe a small school of 6-8 angels?
Yes, a shoal (group) of angelfish is one option. You could actually create a very authentic biotope for angels, something like the display at the Vancouver Aquarium if you have seen it. Sand substrate (Quikrete play sand from Home Depot is fine, I use this), lots and lots of branches reaqching to the surface, some chunks of wood on the sand, and dry leaves like oak if you like. Floating plants, but lower plants can be nothing but Java Moss on the wood. A group of 5-6 angelfish. A nice group of corys for the substrate. Smaller shoaling fish from the characins (some of the species in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon work well, and there are others) could also be added.

Another option that works well in taller tanks is an Amazonian aquascape (either similar to above, or this time with several lower plants like swords, the common Amazon sword (Echinodorus grisebachii, usually seen as E. bleherae) and the pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum). Java Moss on wood branches. Then several species of smaller (than angels) shoaling fish that are less active swimmers, like the pencilfish. With our soft water, they thrive, and there are many species; Nannostomus eques swim obliquely, as do N. unifasciatus, or the dwarf N. marginatus, or the beautiful coral red N. mortenthaleri. Cardinal tetra suit this admirably. Corys again, whiptail catfish (Rineloricaria parva) for "prehistoric" interest. A pair of dwarf SA cichlids could fit this too. The beautiful Dicrossus species, or a Bolivian Ram.

Byron.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Yes, a shoal (group) of angelfish is one option. You could actually create a very authentic biotope for angels, something like the display at the Vancouver Aquarium if you have seen it. Sand substrate (Quikrete play sand from Home Depot is fine, I use this), lots and lots of branches reaqching to the surface, some chunks of wood on the sand, and dry leaves like oak if you like. Floating plants, but lower plants can be nothing but Java Moss on the wood. A group of 5-6 angelfish. A nice group of corys for the substrate. Smaller shoaling fish from the characins (some of the species in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon work well, and there are others) could also be added.

Another option that works well in taller tanks is an Amazonian aquascape (either similar to above, or this time with several lower plants like swords, the common Amazon sword (Echinodorus grisebachii, usually seen as E. bleherae) and the pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum). Java Moss on wood branches. Then several species of smaller (than angels) shoaling fish that are less active swimmers, like the pencilfish. With our soft water, they thrive, and there are many species; Nannostomus eques swim obliquely, as do N. unifasciatus, or the dwarf N. marginatus, or the beautiful coral red N. mortenthaleri. Cardinal tetra suit this admirably. Corys again, whiptail catfish (Rineloricaria parva) for "prehistoric" interest. A pair of dwarf SA cichlids could fit this too. The beautiful Dicrossus species, or a Bolivian Ram.

Byron.
Thanks for the input Byron, definitely something to think about. I have seen tanks with branches that go to the surface, lightly planted with lots of open space. I like that.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
i would go with is a lightly planted tank with some livebearers and a few other fish. just keep it lightly stocked so if can be neglected and not crash in the future. plenty of set ups where you can get away feeding 3-4 times a week and water changes monthly. not the best but can work.
hmmm, interesting. I will keep it in mind. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store