Siamese Algae Eater and Black Beard Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I ordered one SAE on line because I didn't trust any of the local fish stores to have the real thing, but even though I only ordered one, the On-line store sent me two. With two I will be totally overstocked and I will need to get a bigger aquarium once they are more than 3-4 inches. They are just little guys now at about 1.5 inches.
In any case, I really really love watching the SAE's tear off the black beard algae on my plants!! They have been in my tank just two days and the plants are looking better. Anyone else here have luck with beard algae and Siamese Algae Eaters? How long will they grow to be? Someone told me about 5 inches.

I also got 1 male and 2 female honey gouramis which are beautiful!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have SAEs in my planted 55 and I love them. They keep my tank clear of BBA and hair algae. I always love watching them because they are constantly scouring the tank for algae to eat .

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I got rid of mine because he began to become more interested in eating flakes and started to bother other fish.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have never acquired this fish simply because I do not have a suitable habitat where it will be at its best. Although I have battled brush algae in the past, I have had no issues with this for several years now once I got things in balance. But as you asked for info on the fish itself, that I can provide; this is cut and pasted from a profile I wrote of this species a couple years back. As you will see below, this fish attains six inches, and should be in a group. With just two, there is a possibility that trouble may ensue. The size and shoaling nature are the reasons I don't have this fish.

Crossocheilus langei

Family: Cyprinidae, Subfamily Labeoninae

Common Name: Siamese Algae Eater

Origin and Habitat: SE Asia: Sumatra (Indonesia) and Malaysia, possibly into Borneo, Thailand and Myanmar; the type species was collected near Palembang, Sumatra. Inhabits flowing streams and rivers having a substrate of sand, gravel and boulders.

Compatibility/Temperament: Generally peaceful, suitable for the larger community aquarium
with other peaceful fishes such as barbs, danios and most loaches. A shoaling fish by nature, it does best in a group of 6 or more and a distinct hierarchy will be formed within the group.

Siamese Algae Eater Diet

In its native habitat, it grazes on aufwuchs, consuming algae and phytoplankton. A high vegetable diet is necessary to avoid an excess of protein which can cause severe internal issues; blanched spinach, peas, zucchini, chopped fruit in addition to algae. This species is well known as a consumer of brush/beard algae [note comments under Description].

Size

Attains 6 inches (16 cm).

Minimum Tank Suggestion

48 inches in length.

Water parameters for Siamese Algae Eater

Soft to medium hard (5-15 dGH), slightly acidic to slightly basic (pH 6.5 to7.5), temperature 22-26C/72-78F.

Description

The common name Siamese Algae Eater is regularly applied to several related but distinct species. The species Crossocheilus langei is the one most often encountered in the hobby as the "Siamese Algae Eater" [SAE] and is the best at eating black brush [aka red beard] algae. The "true" SAE is actually Crossocheilus siamensis, a species initially described by H.M. Smith in 1931 as Epalzeorhynchus siamensis and moved by Banarescu into the genus Crossocheilus in 1986, and which has probably never been seen by hobbyists since the holotype [the specimen collected and used for the description] is the only one known. To further confuse, C. siamensis is now considered a synonym for the actual species name, Crossocheilus oblongus.

Confusion abounds with this fish, beyond the above. There are several near-identical species within Crossocheilus, and they are occasionally seen in the hobby. Their usefulness as "algae eaters" is variable,depending upon the species. Then there are two other fish often confused with the SAE, known as the False Siamese Algae Eater, Garra cambodgiensis, and the Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus. Both of these regularly appear in the hobby, but neither will handle brush/beard algae like the common SAE. The False SAE can be distinguished by the dark lateral band that ends at the caudal peduncle whereas on the subject fish this band continues into the caudal fin. The Flying Fox has white-edged red and black coloured fins, not clear fins as in the subject species.

As noted under Origin, this fish occurs in flowing waters and is intolerant of high nitrates and any build-up of organic waste, requiring clean, well-oxygenated water; it is an active swimmer and thus needs space. It will therefore be best in a river or stream aquascape having a reasonable current from the filter along with a substrate of gravel, sand and pebbles, with larger rocks simulating boulders and some bogwood added. As noted under Compatibility/Temperament, it should be kept in a group of 6 or more so that the natural interaction between fish can be enjoyed.

As mentioned under Diet, vegetable foods must form the bulk of its diet; protein foods will lead to health problems. Properly cared for, this species can live 10 years or longer.

The species was first described in 1860 by P. Bleeker, though the genus name was incorrectly given as Crossocheilos (Crossocheilichthys).

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I got rid of mine because he began to become more interested in eating flakes and started to bother other fish.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Do you think that if you had two SAE they might have just bothered each other instead of the other fish?

Keipos

AC Members
May 7, 2014
I have one of these in my planted 55 and love it. It's interesting, cool to watch dart around the tank and is a beast on any kind of algae (originally bought for hair algae and black beard which was cleared in a matter of a couple weeks).
The crummy part about them is that they are very territorial with other SAEs. I originally had 2 but when they got to be 4-5 inches long, they began to chase each other relentlessly. So much that one eventually chased the other right out of the aquarium. The remaining one is very content and docile with everyone else in the tank now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Oh dear. The larger one is already chasing the smaller one. :( Sometimes they get along though. I put their food in two separate place in the tank so that they can both eat without chasing each other. They LOVE peas. :)

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Here's a pic of them a few weeks after I got them.SAE.JPG

SAE.JPG

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
Very social fish. Mine usually hang out together and when they grow too big, the store takes them back. Useful fish, community friendly, fun to watch... but I never made them the center piece of a tank.

I'll have to try that at some point.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Oh dear. The larger one is already chasing the smaller one. :( Sometimes they get along though. I put their food in two separate place in the tank so that they can both eat without chasing each other. They LOVE peas. :)
My 3 chase each other around often. The others in the 55 just ignore them and show no signs of stress from their darting about. Two of mine are 4"+ and one is thicker and a good 5". I *think* the larger is the female. Originally I bought 2 as very tiny juveniles and added a 3rd, slightly larger a few days later. They're the real deal, not flying foxes, etc. My LFS is pretty good about that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store