Please critique my tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
How would you rate my tank, plant wise? I know it still has to grow in more.
uploadfromtaptalk1400868639176.jpg
Thanks,
Patricia

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1400868639176.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I like it,everything looks very green and healthy which should be the most important thing.

If that's a regular sword at the rear left, it may get too big for the tank and be a pain if you'd like to remove it.

If I were to change anything, I think I'd add a taller piece of wood to the right of the tank, and the tank seems a little dark at the right rear.

but otherwise I really like it, I look forward to see how it evolves.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I like it too. As you asked for suggestions, I do have one. I would swing the chunk of wood counter-clockwise (looking down from the surface) just a few inches so the right arm is not centre-tank. Anything dead centre in a tank draws attention to the fact, and makes the space seem smaller. You've plenty of open substrate to shift the wood, maybe a tad to the right as well as turning it. That rock immediately to the right of the wood is roughly where the right arm of the wood will end up, so the rock could move over to the opposite side of that arm, which I think would enlarge the space visually too.

Byron.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I like it too. As you asked for suggestions, I do have one. I would swing the chunk of wood counter-clockwise (looking down from the surface) just a few inches so the right arm is not centre-tank. Anything dead centre in a tank draws attention to the fact, and makes the space seem smaller. You've plenty of open substrate to shift the wood, maybe a tad to the right as well as turning it. That rock immediately to the right of the wood is roughly where the right arm of the wood will end up, so the rock could move over to the opposite side of that arm, which I think would enlarge the space visually too.

Byron.
Agree - that would likely have the effect that Byron has outlined.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I like it,everything looks very green and healthy which should be the most important thing.

If that's a regular sword at the rear left, it may get too big for the tank and be a pain if you'd like to remove it.

If I were to change anything, I think I'd add a taller piece of wood to the right of the tank, and the tank seems a little dark at the right rear.

but otherwise I really like it, I look forward to see how it evolves.
Thanks for the tips! The reason is darker at the right rear is because I remove 1 light bulb from the the 3 the fixture had. Bryon informed me that I had too much light. My Anubias hasn't been getting so much algae like before. I am going to get some floating plants for that section and maybe add back the light bulb so the bacopa Carolina stops leaning left towards the light.
Looks real good, Patricia - you've done a nice job !
Thanks!
Thank you!

Byron.
Thanks for the suggestions. Going to try that on my next weekly water change this Monday.

Does cutting one of the driftwood in half affect the wood or the water chemistry?
The reason I am asking for is that the wood the Anubias Nana is on is long. So I thought I can cut it and use the part without plant on it in order to prop it up on the right hand side.
Or maybe if I find a nice rock to place there?
What you guys think?
Agree - that would likely have the effect that Byron has outlined.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I've never been one to cut up wood, since that creates a flat end which is unnatural unless you can manage to position the cut side against the back wall. I often use smaller chunks of wood, or rock, to support longer wood, so I would go that route if it were me.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I've never been one to cut up wood, since that creates a flat end which is unnatural unless you can manage to position the cut side against the back wall. I often use smaller chunks of wood, or rock, to support longer wood, so I would go that route if it were me.
Thanks I decided to not cut the wood. Going to move things around today during my weekly water change today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store