WHITE SPOT ON FIN OF CORYDORA MELANISTIUS NEED HELP NOT SURE WHAT TO DO?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok just bought 6 corydora melanistius all are eating and are in my QT with 1 harlequin rasbora and 1 golden long finned danio. I noticed after I had already added them to the tank from the pet store that one of the cories has a white spot on the tip of the left pectoral fin. I had done a good water change before adding the fish to the QT and the other fish that were transferred to my 36 gallon previously before these fish were added were healthy and had no issues for more than one month. I put the new fish in after the water change on Wednesday night. As far as the cory I was not sure what to do since I am not sure what this is on the fin it looks like a white fuzz ball very small could this be fungus? The only meds I have in the house are pimafix and aquarisol. Is pimafix ok to use the bottle says it's good for fungus and bacterial infections? The other fish are ok so far I really hate when this happens and especially when am not sure what am looking at. I really like these cories if I do add pimafix will the other fish be ok and how often do I have to do water changes during the med process? So disappointed my restocking process for my 36 gallon was going so well. Need good advise desperately I really want to get all these fish through QT and not blow over $20 in fish purchase down the drain. THANKS!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
One little spot may or may not be ich, and I ignore this when I see it on new fish (I have one on one or two new fish in QT as I write). If they are not under stress they can fight this off easily, and that is the best course of action. However, monitor the fish (all of them) carefully.

Adding medications can make things far worse if they are not absolutely needed, and if they are not safe for the fish species. Not all fish medicine is. And any medication or chemical added to the water will add stress to the fish, so it has to be cautiously used if at all.

Byron.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I agree I hate medicating if I don't have to. This isn't ich I have seen it and know what it looks like. What I am looking at is a small white fuzzy thing on the tip of the pectoral fin. I will do weekly water changes and hope this clears up. I read that this could be from an injury to the fin hopefully with good clean water it will clear on its own and the other fish won't be affected. The corie seems very happy and I have six in the tank plus the other two fish who are also a peaceful species and water parameters are good. Will hope for the best!Thanks for replying Byron.

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree I hate medicating if I don't have to. This isn't ich I have seen it and know what it looks like. What I am looking at is a small white fuzzy thing on the tip of the pectoral fin. I will do weekly water changes and hope this clears up. I read that this could be from an injury to the fin hopefully with good clean water it will clear on its own and the other fish won't be affected. The corie seems very happy and I have six in the tank plus the other two fish who are also a peaceful species and water parameters are good. Will hope for the best!Thanks for replying Byron.
Sorry, I thought the initial question involved ich as a possibility so I mentioned it. Moving on, yes, a white blotch as you describe is rather common, and I have never treated for it and it has never turned into anything. Fins get nipped by other fish, or damaged along the way. Water changes are ideal as the better the water the less likely such things are to progress into something.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok this is a recent pic of a disease that I believe is progressing and I am hoping it is not columnaris :(. As shown in this pic the white fuzzy spot on the pectoral fin is still there but now the entire fin looks red. This morning I found that my golden danio died I could not see any obvious disease on him but he did look a bit scrawny. I had just purchased these fish on Wed I have been watching them closely the rasbora is doing fine but am thinking that I have to start meds or am I am going to lose these fish. Only this one cory seems to be affected right now but if this is columnaris or something like it am gonna lose all of them and just water changes is not going to fix this problem. I am attaching a pic I know the body of the fish in the pic looks white is just how the pic came out it's the fin that is the problem. It's the cory on the bottom near the back corner of the tank. My water parameters are fine and ammonia is at 0. I am going to dose with pimafix that is the only thing I have in the house that looks like it will help. Hoping this is the right thing to do. Crossing my fingers. See pic below the fish are in QT.cory red fin.JPG

cory red fin.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store