is my platy pregnant or sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
my blue platy looks like she's developing a gravid spot and she is acting a little off today. I'm no expert so I'm just guessing that she is pregnant and because she looks a little too thin to be pregnant.
She doesn't have any clamped fin, eyes are clear, eats well and moves fine. I've only had her for about a week but I know how quick they can breed. I have moved her to quarantine because she looked like she was going into that birthing trance down towards the bottom of the tank next to a rock (safe zone for her?) and she did look like she was "pushing". All the other fish are perfectly fine and the blue platy only started doing this today.

uploadfromtaptalk1400877758306.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400877836963.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400877850462.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1400877758306.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1400877836963.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1400877850462.jpg

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I've looked her over really close, she even let me hold her while still underwater. She looks just fine and her breathing just a little heavy but she is alone in the QT and I don't think that platys like to be alone. She is still laying on the bottom of the tank but she is well balanced and has swam a bit. I have found a little ich but only a couple vary small spots. I'm going to add salt to her tank and wait because I don't know what else to do.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I hope others with more experience will enter this thread. In the interim, I will just add the comments I posted in the older thread. This platy is sick, the clamped fins are indicative of this, plus the sitting on the substrate; neither condition wil occur in healthy fish. In the other thread you also mentioned white matter exuding from the anus, and I suggested that could indicate constipation or an intestinal bacteria or worms or similar.

Salt probably won't hurt, for livebearers, but not if soft water fish are present in this tank. Epsom salt is somethimes useful for constipation issues.

Byron.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
she doesn't have a clamped fin but she doesn't put her dorsal fin out much though I have have seen it out once or twice when she moves fast.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
she doesn't have a clamped fin but she doesn't put her dorsal fin out much though I have have seen it out once or twice when she moves fast.
There may be a misunderstanding of terms. The fish in the photos, all three, has clamped fins, meaning fins held close to the body. This is never a good sign with livebearers. With other fish like catfish (corys, pleco), it is normal for the dorsal fin to collapse when the fish is motionless on a surface, but that is a very different thing.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yes, I would say your platy is not doing well. I certainly don't think she is pregnant. I have a platy and it never has clamped fins. I can post a pic/vid later.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
She looks like she's doing better today. I saw her swimming slowly when I turned on the tank light and yesterday she would change sides of the tank, I would say maybe 2 times an hour but whichever side she was on she would would swim forward a bit and then slow down to drift back and won't be dragging herself on the bottom.
I saw say poop on the bottom of the tank yesterday and I haven't seen weird discharge from her anus sense then.

I have her tank bare of everything so if she gets through the week should I return her to the main tank?

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store