Temporary CO2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Would it be detrimental to my plant's health in the long run if I run DIY CO2 to the tank for just about 2 weeks to help with algae control? I can't close the blinds all the ways on the window it's sitting in front of so I get algae run amok from time to time and would rather not shroud the tank in a blanket if I don't have to.

I don't have the energy (personal energy) or inclination to run CO2 regularly.

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
It's something I wouldn't do. The plants will only benefit from adding CO2 if the other nutrients are sufficient to balance, along of course with the light intensity. If not, then adding CO2 would feed algae more. There is also the impact on water parameters which could be problematic for fish and possibly plants.

What type of algae? Have you tried reducing the tank light photoperiod? It is certainly true that additional light from windows can create problems like this, but perhaps other solutions may help more.

Byron.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
co2 doesnt effect the fish. only time it effects it if you add so much co2 that pushes out the o2.

have you thought of a co2 set up? might be a little costly to start but for the most part its turn on and forget for 6-12 months.

light>carbon>macro>micro

its all about a balance. adding co2 can help short term but you dont to start stop start stop with the co2.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
co2 doesnt effect the fish. only time it effects it if you add so much co2 that pushes out the o2
This is not correct, as CO2 will (or can) lower pH, and this may affect fish. Without knowing the GH, KH and pH, and the fish species, one cannot say more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store