Stay away from inline heaters b/c of failure rates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
I'm setting up a 125 using 2 eheim canisters and just now as I was researching inline heaters I came across advice to avoid them b/c their failure rates are higher than other types. Is this true? And is it enough of a bother that I should look into hang ons or submersibles? I'd really like to keep the heater out of the tank if at all possible.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I have had no problems with my 3 Hydor ETH inline heaters since purchasing them at least 5 years ago.

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Also I've been told if I go with one of these Hydor inlines I'll want to use a digital temp controller to guard against overheating. The ReefKeeper Lite Basic setup has been suggested for around $120. If I go this route spending $120 for a temp controller (plus a whole lot of other programmable functions) should I look at any other controller other than this ReefKeeper for around the same price?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
hydor inlines are my longest running heaters a good 5 years atleast. You can get stand alone digital heater controller for less but if you like the features of the RK its worth the money and they do have the lowest cost basic setups, the basic Apex controller runs like another $100.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store