Too many fish for a 10g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquadaily

Registered Member
May 27, 2014
My 10g currently houses:

1 Male Betta
5 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Dwarf Corys
2 Apple Snails
1 Nerite Snail
2 Pregnant Ghost Shrimp in breeding tank (waterfilters from tank)

The tank is filtered with a heater, and with 1 dwarf hygro and 1 java moss ball (in breeding tank) being the only live plants.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
In terms of numbers alone, this is workable, especially with live plants (more esp floating would help) and regular water changes. But the fish species have some issues.

Corys are highly social, and should be in a larger number. The pygmy species (Corydoras pygmaeus) is particularly one that does better with more, at least 7 but preferably 9-12. These do well in a 10g, mine are spawning all over the place.

The rasbora is another species that is better with more, even by comparison to other shoaling fish. Here again seven would be minimum, with more better. But you haven't much space in a 10g, so I would say leave well enough alone.

Male betta are not community fish. Sometimes they work, often not in time. Not much else I can say on this. Keep a close eye on thing; the rasbora may turn to nipping the Betta's fins (being in a close confined space can trigger this even in peaceful fish), or the Betta may decide he doesn't like the rasbora, or the corys even. These traits can develop along the way, even if not present now.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store