Whos the killer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquadaily

Registered Member
May 27, 2014
A few weeks ago 1 of my then 6 harlequin rasboras completely vanished without a trace from my tank. A week ago a otto disappeared, and now so has the other one as of today. I have a betta in the tank so he is a possible killer, but could he be eating the entire body as well?

My tank (10g) houses:

1 Male Betta
5 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Ghost Shrimp
3 Dwarf Corys
2 Apple Snails
1 Nerite Snail

Plants: 1 Dwarf Hygro, 1 Java Moss Ball

aquadaily

Registered Member
May 27, 2014
There was only one ghost shrimp in the tank at the time of disappearance, and they never finish all of it. When a fish died when I had about 6 ghost shrimp in the tank they just left a small hole it in, and they were all working hard at it.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Interestingly, I just finished a response to your other post on this tank, in which I cautioned about the Betta. I guess it may be happening. I don't know the size of the fish mentioned, but I have had a male Betta that easily ate neons. Betta are not community fish, as I explained in the other thread so won't repeat here.

Having said that, it is possible the fish are dying and the other fish and shrimp will eat what they find.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^yup. What he said. Bettas need big tanks if you go for a community, and smaller fish like neons make GREAT snacks.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Besides that tank being rather small for a community, I agree with the above: the betta could easily be the killer. This said, you should check your tank stats to make sue you aren't suffering from a cycle or spike.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store