Slacking on my tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I currently have 3 tanks, one is my grandmas tank. All plants are planted, two have sand and one has gravel. I been slacking on water changes, due to working nights and cleaning tanks are work. I have little time in the morning has I'm getting ready for work, I work in a Pet store if you want to know. I keep the tanks at work cleaning then what I keep mine. I'm going to quite slacking off on my tanks either saturday night or sunday to do water changes and scrub algae.

I don't think I updated anyone on the stock lists of my tanks in awhile along with filters listed.

20 Gallon: This tank been running since Jan. 2nd. Fish are fed once or twice every other day or once a day.
1 Aquaoen 30 Power Filter
1 Marineland 100 Pengiun
15 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Male Pearl Gourami
2 Kuhli Loaches, sole survivers from a mass die off from the 37g.
1 Hillstream Loach
1 Koi Swordtail/female
4 Japanese Algae eating Shrimp
I know, a lot of fish, strange enough, no issues and all fish seem fat and bright colored.

37 gallon: Been running for 3 years, started in June of 2011.
1 Marineland 200 Pengiun Filter, upgrading to a 350 soon.
8 Female Bettas,Yes I know what will happen, but so far no issues with fighting or torn fins.
5 Rummynoses, thinking of rehoming these with a smaller shoaling fish.
1 koi swordtail, moving to the 20
3 platies
1 lone Corydora, the rest died off, poor stock.
3 South American Bumblebee Catfish
Had a mass die off in this tank, lost my old angel(put her down to end her suffering, you can ask why), all my rams, most of my loaches, most of the cories, and half of the rummies. Water was tested and nothing was found to be the cause, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 Nitrate.. at the time of the mass die off a month ago.

5 Gallon Hex: Started Late Jan/Early Feb.
2 Gold White Cloud Minnows
1 Zebra Nitrite Snail(I think it's spelled wrong)
1 HM Male Betta

Sorry for the very long lists. If I remember the last water changes done on my big tanks were almost a month ago, so I've been slacking big time! filters need cleaning, sand stirred, glass cleaned and algae scrubed, a top a list of other stuff for Sunday!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With a heavily planted tank, you can wait a little on WC, but I would just do a bigger one when you have a change. I believe in bigger wc, better then weekly smaller changes ( I do weekly 30-40% changes)

PS-- Your tanks no longer match your signature.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
You stir your sand each time you do a WC? I know pet stores do this in both FW and SW tanks but is this good practice at home? I thought sand should not disturbed in a planted tank.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You stir your sand each time you do a WC? I know pet stores do this in both FW and SW tanks but is this good practice at home? I thought sand should not disturbed in a planted tank.
I think it's done mainly to take care of any potential anaerobic gas pockets.

Personally I find it easier to keep MTS in the tank.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I stir gravel at work to keep waste from building up and the same with sand to let out trapped gasses. The sand in my 20g is starting to turn green, light is on 10 hours a day sometimes 12 a day, but all plants grow like weeds.

I know my tanks no longer match my sig, been busy to update it.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Most will agree that substrates in planted tanks are best left alone, generally speaking. The breakdown of organics by bacteria is a major source (the largest in natural method) of CO2 and other nutrients. Some cleaning in open areas along the front where substrate fish feed is probably a good idea, but I wouldn't go digging in the sand elsewhere. Provided the depth is not excessive, there should be no need. Malaysian livebearing snails someone mentioned are ideal in this situation, and much better than our digging. Plant roots also help tokeep things tidy down there, releasing tons of oxygen. I have tanks in which I never get into the sand, others just the open areas. My sand tanks have been running like this for two and three years with no problems.

Water changes are a very different issue, and should be regular, no less than once each week. This is crucial to maintaining stable conditions. It is true that with heavy plant load and fewer fish this is not so important, but most of us keep more fish than what this can support without the water changes. And I am with Jessica that the water changes should be somewhat substantial. I do half the tank weekly, sometimes slightly more, and have done for 15+ years.

Green sand mentioned is likely algae or the start of cyanobacteria. Light should be regular too, and perhaps less depending, plus the water changes and siphoning off the top of the sand would be beneficial here or cyano is almost certain to take hold.

Byron.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I demand some pictures! :)

They all sound like nice tanks, slacking off or no. I know I usually only have time for 1 large waterchange a month, I make up for the lack of waterchange with overfiltration and heavy planting.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Finding time is difficult. I work graveyard, (night shift), averaging 60+ hours per week including weekends and have little time to take care of my 3 tanks. I must say though, having them keeps me sane. I have planted tanks as well and I over filter for the same reasons. We wouldn't keep fish if we didn't love them so hang in there; they're depending on you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Yeah with summer upon us, I have other things going on so I know It's harder to keep tank maintenance on schedule. I find early mornings are good time to do WCs and filter cleaning.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store