Mollies acting strange?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone, recently moved a pair of mollies that I had at work into a new tank and they are acting very strange. They were in a 10g, but are now in a 15g column. They are still young as I've had them since they were fry. They recently though, since moving them, have become very skitish and neurotic. When I get to my desk, they are out, then the lights come one and they run to hide behind the filter. Even when they come out they are very tense when they swim, its a dart here, dart there. Never just a normal swim. The only other fish I have in with them is 2 furcata rainbowfish. There is one male molly and one female.
Thanks!!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, first off, you should probably have a few more female mollies. The best ratio is 1 male for every 3 females. Mollies are also a schooling fish, so they do better in large groups than in pairs or alone. Lastly, does your tank have lots of places for them to hide? Without shelter most fish become skittish and less healthy.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Well, first off, you should probably have a few more female mollies. The best ratio is 1 male for every 3 females. Mollies are also a schooling fish, so they do better in large groups than in pairs or alone. Lastly, does your tank have lots of places for them to hide? Without shelter most fish become skittish and less healthy.
They are actually going to be moved to my home tank with some other mollies and guppies, but I just have them in there at the moment to keep my plants alive. And yes and no. There are not as many spots as before, but there are still a couple spots. Besides the filter and the heater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store