Shrimp hatchlings as live food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I realize feeding flakes and live things is a good thing but I don't want to keep worms or hatch brine shrimp. How about RCS and ghost shrimp hatchlings? Do you think tetras and CPDs would like them? I tried frozen brine shrimp but they're too big for CPDs and small tetras. Or should I go with guppy frys? Any other ideas? Looking to provide protein rich live food from within the tank.

feeding time!

image.jpg

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Fish love shrimp. If they are small enough to be eaten, they will be.
Tetras and CPDs are pretty small though, and would likely only be able to eat the smallest of baby RCS. (if any)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Shrimp "hatchlings" would make great food, but I do not think you can raise enough shrimps to have enough food for any more then a snack. Try feeding frozen food, cylops, baby B-shrimp, daphnia all are small enough for tetras.

PS--Raising small worms is easy, and cleaner then you think. If I can do it, anyone can.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Are freeze dried cyclops or daphnia ok? That would be more convenient for me. Live shrimps would be a supplement to the usual flakes. But cyclops and daphnia seem good for tetra or CPD fry. I was thinking of hard boiled chicken egg yolk for my fry if I get to that point.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
The frozen should work. With the guppies it can be convenient if you can leave the female guppy in the tank and she'll drop her fry occasionally providing the snacks. It's not quite as convenient from a regular feeding perspective.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would not feed boilded egg yolks. This use to be the food for freys, but to me, it is too messy. Go with the small frozen foods.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ok, I'll see if my stores have the frozen instead of dried.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store