guppies and angelfish?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

charbel101

AC Members
Apr 27, 2014
Hi. I bought yesterday 4 guppies and 2 gouramis and 2 angelfish? i did put them together but the thing is i didn't know that the angelfish will eat the guppies i am worried now :/ my tank is 80 gallon 100 cm length 70 cm height and 44 cm width

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I concur. Any guppy fry will end up live food and at some point the angels or gouramis are going to get big enough to eat the guppys. Always keep in mind, the fish you see and think are full size from the pet store are actually stunted do to lack of space. Put them in a huge tank and they will grow to their full potential most times. I have swordtails pushing 5" if that tells you anything. If you want livebearers, the swords are the way to go. They should get large enough to deter most attacks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree. And sorry to be the bearer of more bad news, but you may have trouble with the angelfish, and the gourami and angelfish, depending. What species is the gourami? And for both gourami and angelfish, do you know if your pairs are male/female, male/male, or female/female?

Byron.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
I am not sure that the guppies will get eaten. I have heard of people keeping adult female guppies with angelfish and the guppies being fine but the fry being eaten.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The angelfish will *probably* be able to eat the guppies when the angels mature. What species of gouramis?

Also, what size tank? Bigger tanks will give the guppies more room to hide/run.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you bought them together, i wouldn't worry too much about it. the fry will probably fall victim to the other fish in the tank, but even my glolites eat livebearer fry. i only say "bought them together" because when I imagine buying angels, its those nickel and quarter sized ones that are afraid of everything.

you really only need to worry when they angels are fully grown. even then, its only small males that you have to worry about.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I am not sure that the guppies will get eaten. I have heard of people keeping adult female guppies with angelfish and the guppies being fine but the fry being eaten.
Female guppies are larger and fuller than males and may not be eaten, but the fry would be tasty morsels for many kinds of fish, including Angels and Gouramis.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Problem is.. the angels may target the guppies. Adult Angels are known to try and eat anything they 'think' will fin in their mouth.
there is cause for alarm as well with gouramis in a tank with Angels.
they tend to be fin nippers ..(angels vs gourami) much has to do with the temperament of the fish.

tho I can attest there are some pretty mean angels out there..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store