Rosy barb and fin nipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Iamjustifyd

AC Members
Aug 17, 2011
New Olreans
Real Name
Sherry
Pretty little fish, I have 2 male and 1 female. Had them about a week. One black neon died and one emperor tetra with fins nipped off. I've been reading that if rosies are kept 5 or more, with 2 females to 1 male, the nipping should stop. In ya'lls experience is this true and get some more female or just bring them back the fish store? My take was fine until they came in. I wish the workers at the store would tell me info before I buy the fish.
Thanks

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
What you read is correct. Rosys are generally peaceful unless a proper school is not maintained. How big is the tank? That could be an issue as well.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is applicable to most if not all shoaling fish, which includes all barbs, danio, rasbora, tetra. Even the very peaceful species will frequently start nipping if there are not sufficient numbers. With barbs, all of which are somewhat more prone to this to begin with, larger numbers should work for most species. With your 55g, and assuming you like this species, go for 7-9 of them. They will be happier, and you will be happier because they will be more colourful and interactive.

Byron.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
yeah if you can get a group of at least 5 or 6, and honestly as many as you can, then the aggression should be taken out as playing between the rosys and not on the other fish.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
This is applicable to most if not all shoaling fish, which includes all barbs, danio, rasbora, tetra. Even the very peaceful species will frequently start nipping if there are not sufficient numbers. With barbs, all of which are somewhat more prone to this to begin with, larger numbers should work for most species. With your 55g, and assuming you like this species, go for 7-9 of them. They will be happier, and you will be happier because they will be more colourful and interactive.

Byron.
I definitely agree with this point, but would also like to add that you need to make sure that you have enough room for them. fish that feel overcrowded will also become aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store