Cycling question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sostratos

Registered Member
Apr 9, 2013
I've been keeping fish for just over a year now, but I still consider myself a newbie. I've currently got a 55 gallon planted aquarium stocked with one Angelfish, a pair of apistogramma macmasteri, a 3 inch bristlenose pleco, and 8 goyder river rainbowfish juveniles that are only 1 to 1.5 inches long. For filtration I have a Tetra whisper 60, a Fluval 306, and an Eheim 2213.

My question is this: I am about to set up a 75g aquarium for some South American cichlids. I also have a new Eheim 2213 that is essentially uncycled. Would it be safe for my 55g stock if I took the well cycled 2213 and replaced it with the new one, allowing me to use the fully cycled 2213 to jumpstart the 75? My planned stock list for the 75 is two yellow or royal acaras, one severum rotkeil, and possibly a pair of apistogramma.

Any advice would be appreciated!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Oh yeah, I see no problem at all. The larger Fluval and the hob are already doing the lion's share of the filtering on your 55 gallon as it is. The fraction of beneficial bacteria you lose by replacing the little 2013 will be quickly colonized in the other two filters.
I might do a larger or extra water change and check for ammonia in the 55 gallon just to be sure.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
yeah definitly you can move the filter over. Also, if you have some time until the tank is set up then you can plug your new filter onto your current tank and that could help cycle it also and then move both over when you start the tank until the tank is good and cycled. One thing you might watch for is when you take the borrowed filter off you will be losing a percentage of your filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store