Re-starting my 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Hey everyone! Been a long time since I've posted here. My wife and I just purchased her parents home and are all moved in. Yesterday, we brought my 55g tank over from my mothers house. We have cleaned it completely and have it cycling now. I had 2 4-5" Silver Dollars left, but donated them to our local Pet Shop as I wanted to start over completely.

I've never done a fishless cycle really my entire time of having fish. We usually just filled it up, put water treatment in, and let it sit without fish for a couple of days. I've always had very good luck with my fish and love the hobby. I am letting this new setup run for about 2 weeks before adding any fish. I have a Penguin Bio Wheel 350 and the walmart version of the same filter without the bio wheel.

I wanted to try live plants again, but I don't have the time/patience to deal with them. Last time I tried, it was a disaster :/ So, we're sticking with fake.

We will be adding a few more plants to fill the tank out. We're now deciding on stocking.

I've always wanted Discus, but have heard they are very hard to keep and need pristine water conditions. Is this true? Angels are my 2nd choice.

How many angels could I realistically stock in this tank, with about 8-10 Cories and maybe a school of some sort of tetra, maybe cardinals?

Would dwarf gouramis go well with the angels? Just trying to get a good idea of stocking. Here's a quick photo of where we're at now.

20140531_221726.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
There was a thread a couple weeks back on discus, and one of our members, discuspaul, gave a ton of very good information. Track that down, and you may decide on something else for now.

Angelfish would be nice in a 55g, a group of five would be my choice, all acquired together. Angels, like discus, are shoaling fish and should always be in a group except for a breeding pair. And with angels, having two, three or even four fish can cause real trouble if one is a dominant male and becomes a bully, which is natural for the species so it is best to recognize that and plan accordingly.

As you don't want live plants, one option is a more authentic angelfish habitat. More chunks of wood, branches, perhaps dried leaves on the substrate. Floating plants (these are easy, and beneficial not only by removing ammonia and nutrients but shading the lower tank, as angels do occur in shaded areas, often near-dark.

I do not recommend gourami with angelfish, as they are very similar in their temperament and male territorial dominance. Inste4ad of angels though, you could have a nice group of Pearl Gourami, a beautiful gourami that is best in a small group. Floating plants are basically essential for gourami.

With either, other smaller fish can be included, if selected carefully; no possible fin nippers with the sedate angels or gourami with those trailing fins and feelers.

Byron.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I'd be worried about the angelfish eating cardinal tetras, try for a larger tetra or a more diamond shaped body rather than line shaped.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
I'm fairly set on starting with 5 juvenile angels and see how things go. I may look at other small tetras. Mollies or swords would be another option but those always seem to not live very long

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'm fairly set on starting with 5 juvenile angels and see how things go. I may look at other small tetras. Mollies or swords would be another option but those always seem to not live very long
No mention is made yet of your water parameters, and livebearers, particularly mollies, are at the almost opposite end from the other fish mentioned so far. You certainly cannot keep mollies and cardinal tetra together for example, as one (or both) will be languishing. It is much easier, and safer, to select fish compatible with your source water.

Sierra0103

AC Members
Feb 8, 2014
St. Louis Missoru
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Alex
Camera Used
Nikon D3100
I'd be worried about the angelfish eating cardinal tetras, try for a larger tetra or a more diamond shaped body rather than line shaped.
personally think if he introduces the cardinals first then the angels he should have problem. That's what i've done with my Angels and my neons and havent had a single problem.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have a mature angel in my 100g that massacres small fish fry around .25-.5". I don't doubt at all that he would ambush cardinals or neons, etc. at around .75-1.25". It's the fact that they are so small that's the problem. It could happen when you first put them in, a week later, a month later, or two years later. I wouldn't do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store