Ropefish in a 46 Gallon... Terrible Idea??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Simple as that. I've wanted one for a long time, and I'd love to add it to my planted community tank. I'm looking to have a pair of angels, some tetras, kuhli loaches, cory cats, and a pleco. I had the same setup years ago but with a fire-eel...thoughts??

Cheers!
Jake

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Any other input?

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
In my experience if you have only one it will hide constantly, if you have three or fewer they'll fight with eachother, and if you have 5+ they get along well and are frequently active (esp. at feeding time.) I'd not put them in anything smaller than a 120 for life, a 75 will work for a long time though.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I've given up hopes on a ropefish in my 46.. haha.

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
They're one of my favorite fish. I snagged a 180 to house them and eventually some bichir once I convince the lady I need two tanks and can move my edible fish to it. I'm currently at 5 ropes of varying sizes, all under 10" though. I might go up to 7, but If the 2nd tank never comes i'll be over stocked once they and several plecos reach large sizes.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Do not be afraid to do it. I had 3 ropefish in a 37 gal. tank for weeks when I moved. They ate all my guppys, but they were fine. My 2 ropefish died a few weeks ago, and really depressed me. One was over 5 yrs old. They were both trained on catfish pellets, and the younger one even tried to eat algae wafers. They were the best fish I ever had, and may get more eventually. They LOVE bloodworrms, and when I first got mine, I went through a whole lot of ghost shrimp. But they eventually got used to the pellets. They would drape themselves over some decoration, and pretend they were invisible. I say go ahead and get one, you won't be sorry. They can be fine alone, but do better with 2 or more.They do not bother each other at all, they will even share the same cave. I have heard they like to jump, but really, mine never even came to the top except to gulp air now and again.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I've had one for 20 years or so, in a 20g tank. No problems, but it might have eaten some of the rosy reds I added for visual interest. Mine shared the same hiding space as a bumblebee catfish, is active day and night, and eats shrimp pellets with no problems. (I have offered other foods, but surprisingly the pellets seem to be preferred.)

Recently relocated my fish into a 46g, and the reedfish seems quite content. Current tank mates are a large tinfoil barb, clown pleco, dragonfish/violet goby, small bichir, 2 small bumblebee cats, 4 Denison barbs, and 2 horsefaced loaches. Eventually everyone will be moving to a larger tank, but I have never had problems with "Wormie", as my sister calls him.

riham

Registered Member
Nov 13, 2014
Ok am gonna finish the 7 day course of pimafix and see what happens then if I don't see a change I will try the Methylene blue. So far my water parameters with using the pimafix are fine no ammonia spikes the fish are still eating well and active. The fuzzy area looks like the tip of a cotton swab with a reddened center. How does methylene blue affect my biological media I read that the malachite green causes high ammonia spikes.​

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store