5 gallon tank stocking options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coraline

AC Members
Sep 19, 2013
Hi! I'm a high school senior going into college. I have a standard 5.5 gallon tank I would like to bring with me. My current stocking ideas are as follows.

1. A betta. My last betta recently died, and getting another is always an option. I'm not to keen on this however because I feel a 5 gallon tank is too small to house a full grown betta.

2. One or a pair of peacock gudgeons. I like this idea, because the gudgeon I used to have had a ton of personality, and stayed very small. I haven't kept one in several years though, so I'm not sure if they would be suitable for a five gallon tank. What do you guys think? Also, they might be harder to find locally.

2. One or more dwarf pufferfish. I love these tiny guys, but the last time I tried to keep them, I couldn't get them to eat anything, including tiny live snails. I tried everything, from frozen bloodworms, to live brine shrimp, but they still slowly wasted away. If I was going to buy these, I would ask to see them eat at the store. I have a steady supply of live snails, so that should help. Right now, this is my favorite choice, if I could be sure they would do well.

3. koolie loaches and sparkling gourami

The main qualities I'm looking for in a fish are somewhat colorful or fun to look at, and a bit spunky. The water here is very hard (think limestone). If you guys know of any other tiny fish you think would work, that would be awesome! Also, if you have any general maintenance tips for the above fish, I would appreciate any info. I'm considering turning this tank into a nano reef, but I think that would be to much maintenance for college, and I wouldn't have a steady supply of ro water.

Thank you so much for your time reading this post, and any suggestions you may have!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I've never kept peacock gudgeons, but I have kept betta (and I agree, 5.5 is a bit small unless planted & whatnot) and sparkling gouramis. I'd suggest a Sparkling Gouramis and some smaller shrimps like cherrys or ghosts.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the problem with the last two that you mentioned is that they can be hard to find.

I personally would go with a betta, a dwarf gourami, or 5 or 6 neons.

in fact, i just had 5 glolites in a 5.5 (quite possibly the same tank kit you have, i only know of one). it was fully planted, and pretty stunning by the end.

i'm probably going to set it up again as either swordtail fry grow out or a GBR species tank where they can breed in peace. the 5.5 (again, if its the one im thinking of) has more room than you might expect. i would not suggest you get GBR's for yours though. pick something easy like the three things i mentioned above.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I've kept peacock gudgeons...very cool little fish.

I think they would work for you. I shrimp tank would work well also.

Mark

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Scarlet badis. One amazing fish. Colorful, fun to watch, and can be spunky. You could have a pairnin there with the right layout. However im not sure hard water is ideal for them. Definately worth the look though

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Peacock Grudgeons, Dwarf Puffers and Scarlet Badis all share the same traitss of being challenging to feed. Sometimes they just do not accept frozen foods, and dried foods are a no go.
I think the Badis would do better in your hard water but you still may have trouble getting them to eat.
I like the Sparkling Gouramis and shrimp idea, or you might consider a group of 8-10 micro rasboras depending on just how hard your water is.

coraline

AC Members
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not to big of a fan of schooling fish, I love the personality of single little guys. Scarlet badis is an awesome idea! They are absolutely beautiful. One reason I'm currently leaning towards the puffers is that I could provide them a steady supply of small live snails if they were unwilling to eat frozen food. I'm including a rather terrible picture of my tank. Currently, it contains:

Plants:
Java fern
Java Moss
Unknown floating plant that grows really nicely.

Substrate and hardscaping:
Slate
driftwood

20140602_211136.jpg

I really like the idea of shrimp, but I doubt they would get along with dwarf puffers! Currently dwarf puffers and sparkling gouramis are tied as my favorite choices. Keep the advice coming, I really appreciate it! Thank you again for all your comments :)

20140602_211136.jpg

coraline

AC Members
Sep 19, 2013
The peacock gudgeon I had in the past was easy to feed on frozen food, and especially loved bloodworms. Is this typical?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
The floating plant looks like hornwort.
Do you know your water parameters?
If it's off the charts hard you could always mix it with RO water with each water change and have a better chance of having happy DPs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store