New platy looking a little flat.. :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessie95

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2014
Hi all, I'm new here! :) I just got 4 new platies and two have been sitting at the bottom of the tank. The light was off and I accidentally turned the temp to 28 not 26! :( I've done a water change to get the water back down. My question is, pretty much, do they sleep? I'm worried because the one that was at the bottom of the tank is a HUGE female-she must have some young inside her.

The tank has just finish its second cycle as I had to do a complete clean as something went mouldy. The amonia is 0.00 and nitrite appears to be in between 0.00 and 0.25ppm. pH is 7. I've got Bristlenose Catfish in the tank too. They are perfectly fine and happy.

I'm thinking of breeding these little guys (I have both sexes) and was wondering if they eat their own young? I know they give birth to live young. I don't have a fry tank set up yet as I'm going to re-home my goldfish. So it'll be all cycled and everything. I'll just need to change substrate, add a sponge filter and a heater.

Sorry about all the questions! I'm new to the whole breeding aspect. My Bristlenose haven't had any fry in over 1 month and the female platy looks ready to pop!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
If the platys that are sitting at the bottom are eating and swimming around a bit I wouldn't worry and just give them some time while keeping an eye on them.
Platys can handle 30C easy, mine had to when I was treating ich. When raising or lowering a tank's temperature you need to do it vary slow, over the course of hours or you can shock and kill the fish.
Platys do eat fry so you either need a birthing net or have your tank planted/decorated to give the fry places to hide. To tell if a platy is pregnant is kind of hard but she will develop a black dot over her anus and you may be able to see dark dots inside her which are the fry's eyes. The female platy will want to hide and/or be alone to give birth so by then she's already started giving birth when you see that.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jessie95

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2014
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't getting them initially with the intention to breed so I didn't have a breeding tank/net. I've just ordered one online now that separated the fry from their hungry mum! I think it might be too late by the time the tank comes to put her in it. She's really quite big. She's hiding away in the plants at the moment and I can't find my other female, she might be in my bristle nose driftwood cave that they don't use. I've read somewhere that they don't eat them for the first 24 hours is that just a false statement? Thank you! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store