Bleach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
So I bought a beautiful 72 gallon bow the other day, but it had been sitting in a garage for a while and was crusty and had some tiny dead snails in it etc.

I bleached it with 1/2 cup per gallon or so, prob a little less by the time it was all said and done... anyhow, I then ran an Emperor 400 and Tetra Ex70 on the tank cycling the bleach water through those filters for a day (not planning on using those filters anyhow)

Then I drained it, then I filled it up again, thoroughly rinsing every corner and section of the tank with my python hose as it filled up.

Then I drained it again. Then I filled it up again about 90% but while I did that I also left my siphon going draining water out of the tank, while the python was filling the tank, essentially creating a little system of fresh water coming in while it is also being siphoned out quickly.

Then I drained it last night. Wiped it all down and have let it air dry.

I don't particularly smell any bleach in it this morning but my gf says she can slightly smell bleach. I can't see any way at all that there could be any bleach left in there but I want to be safe.

For the chemistry pros out there, do you think I should be good to go? I remember hearing something about bleach's half life or something after its air dried is pretty much non-existent?

I personally feel like it *should* be all set but wanted to see what you guys think?

I've bleached tanks before and washed them very well and have never had a problem before. I know its a somewhat controversial topic, but its never failed me. I also will use massive doses of prime as I hear it somehow neutralizes bleach particles?

Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Let it air dry for a couple of days, fill and drain again with over dose of dechlor....

Aaron D

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Virginia
Yea, I agree with the above statement, it also might not hurt to throw another filter on there you dont plan on using in the tank when you refill it to help. Course thats just my 2 cents

Last edited:

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Bleach then rinse, rinse, rinse, let dry, rinse, rinse, rinse, let dry.

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
If I can still smell just a faint aroma of bleach, does it mean its unsafe? Its been rinsed a boatload of times, dried, etc and its been a few days. I'm going to fill it all the way up tonight, dump a bottle of prime in there and drain it again and air dry one more time. Essentially the only dangerous thing here would be the chlorine? Which should have been evaporated or dissolved or whatever by now, and a heavy prime dosing tonight should neutralize any lingering traces of it.

Are there any other chemical components in the bleach that I should be worrying about?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Most likely not. The dechlor should take care of any residue. Depending on how sloppy the water change/cleaning was, you could have some bleach water on the outside in the frame. It will gas off.

LMOUTHBASS

Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks - I was pretty thorough about the rinsing and during one of the rinsings I let water pump in through my python while also siphoning out through another hose, so it was a constant flow of water in and out circulating fresh water through.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
You should be okay :) just make sure it dries out completely and check the silicone, too. I found a tank that needed to be resealed after I took vinegar to it. That was a crappy day.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store