1.5" MarinePure substrate in a Eheim cannister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
So after much consideration comparing opinions on the 1.5" MarinePure and BioHome Ultimate substrates I've decided to go with the MarinePure to filter my new 125 gal planted. I'll be using two Eheim 3e Pro canister filters each with 4 baskets measuring 7.25" x 7.25" x 2.25" tall. Since this is my first tank and I have no practical experience, throughout my research I've assumed a good filter media would be a complicated mish mash of things piled on top of each other to help ensure the water flowed THROUGH as much of the media as possible before exiting the filter. But now considering the size of my filter baskets (2.25" tall) and the size of the MarinePure media (1.5") I'm not so sure I'll be getting the 'flow through' that I wanted. Because of the basket height I'll only be able to layer a single layer of MaringPure filter balls in each basket. Even though I'll have 2 baskets in each canister with this media it still seems like it'll be loaded in too sparingly (not stacked on top of itself) to ensure good flow through the media itself. With this setup it seems like the flow would be more likely to go around the filter balls instead of through them.

Is this setup going to be sufficient?

Second idea is to have sponge filters in the bottom basket, then pile MarinePure in the second basket up to the level of the top of the third basket leaving the third basket out, then the fourth basket would contain some Purigen.

Third idea is to use MarinePure 1.5" in each of baskets 2 and 3 but then put a small layer of a smaller mech filter material on top of each of the ball layers to help force flow through the MarinePure.

Thanks I'm all ears!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Here's maybe even a better idea...

Just saw an evaluation of the MarinePure filter media on their website by some guys maintaining a very large aquarium at the Aquarium of Niagara I think it was. Anyhow, he described how he used MarinePure blocks in one of the sump filter systems and he mentioned that it's important to let the water flow passively around the filter blocks (as opposed to forcing it through) so anaerobic bacteria can set up shop in the interior of the block (which I believe helps to eventually get rid of nitrates? after they establish after a couple months). So....

Best idea now since I'm going to use two baskets with this stuff (and b/c I'm lazy and would like to do as few water changes as possible) is to fill one basket with just the 1.5" MarinePure filter balls (utilizing passive flow) and the second basket I'll get a block of the MarinePure filter material (which at first look seem to be maybe 2" in height) cut them to fit the basket exactly and then possibly permanently install them into the basket using aquarium safe silicone. The fit would be as exact to the sides of the basket as possible and the silicone would be spread from top to bottom all around the edges of each basket forcing water flow through the entire media. This setup would provide for both lots of forced pass through the filter media as well as passive flow around the 1.5" balls allowing a place for the anaerobic bacteria to set up shop.

So whats everybody think bout THAT?! [h=1][/h]

Overkill yes I know, but if spending more now on lots of good filter material (read more nitrifying bacteria) will provide for less water changes down the line then I'm all for it.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
More filters or filter media will not be the deciding factor on reducing water changes. Granted, it is usually recommended to perform regular water changes to remove nitrate and other compounds from the aquarium but nitrates are the end result of the biological process.

I would not permanently install any media in the filter baskets. First, you may want to change it in the future and second, how do you propose to clean it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store