help!!! what is this growing on my fish? emergency!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
6g fluval tank. rasbora brigittae (or a really really similar looking species of rasbora). tanks been set up for 4 years with the same fish. started off with around 11, now i have 5. looks like it might be four soon?

http://tinypic.com/r/jae0s4/8photo1.jpg

what is that !??!?!?!!? at first i thought it was like some algae or rotting flake food by the fish, but its actually ON the fish. the area it looks to be coming out of, has a red/dark brown marking around it..what the hell is going on!!? is this just an old age symptom showing signs of soon death? and furthermore, should i euthanize? (freezing cold water with tons of ice cubes?)

edit: seems like it could be a fungus? whats a good treatment? all thats new in this tank is a few pieces of a stem plant i brought in from my other tank..which now im scared my other tank will get infected?

photo1.jpg

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would suggest that is fungus. But fungus only invades an open wound, so there is an underlying issue.

Easiest way to deal with the fungus is to net the fish and apply methylene blue (preferred) or malachite green directly on the fungus using a Q-tip. Hold the fish in the net just above the water, fungus side up, and dab the fungus with a Q-tip dipped in either dye. This will kill the fungus on contact. Release the fish.

The underlying issue will still be there, but not knowing what it is, one can not suggest treatments. If it was simply a scrape, it may heal.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^yup. That is one gnarly fungus you have there, friend. Byron is right though, treat the cause.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store