Starting over

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Hey guys. After a long while without my tank, I am back with it and wanting to try live plants again. Im going for the thick natural look like I see a lot of you have.

I have a 130 watt Single Strip Coralife Compact Flourescent lighting system for my 55g. I had horrible luck last time with my plants falling apart and making a mess.

I'm trying to go as low maintenance as possible as budget and time don't allow for major setup. Wisteria is my plant of choice, but what else should I be looking at?I'm going to petsmart this weekend and hopefully get some starter plants.

I used the 3 pack of flourish excel last time, what else do I need for good growth? Thanks guys. I'm so lost with plants!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would suggest that this is too much light for your intended planted setup. I tracked down some data on this light for comparison, and this fixture is brighter (puts out more light intensity) than a dual-tube T5 HO 48-inch. The latter would be much too bright over a 55g unless you went high-tech with diffused CO2, so this Compact is even more than that. Now i understand the former algae issue mentioned in your other thread.

Byron.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
So I have a light that basically won't work for wisteria and other easy plants?Lol I am so lost on this. I thought having this would surely make plants easier and grow better.

So what are any if you guy's suggestions? It's either this light or the basic fluorescent lights that come standard with tanks from Walmart.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
You can go with a short photo period, say 6 hrs a day to start, and lots of plants. I like the wysteria choice. It grows fast and can be used as a background plant and even floated as well. Some other floaters can help dim the bright lighting.
Maybe a couple of swords as centerpiece plants, they grow pretty fast. Pretty much any medium light plant could work as well. I also like bronze crypts as a color contrast and easy grow foreground or midground plant.
I would go with a daily dose of the Excell along with at least weekly doses of the liquid fertilizer.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
So what exact ferts would you use? Would the 3 pack of flourish excel work again only?

I like the idea of swords in the middle and wisteria as a floater and busy background plant.

Also regarding the algae, is this light the source of that or was it more the sun and light combined?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
There is more to this than simply having a shorter photoperiod. With the benefit of the information from the other thread, [here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?278163-New-questions ] there is a water and nutrient issue that also affects the Wisteria.

The GH of aparker2005's water is 25 ppm, which is just over 1 dGH. This means that the "hard" minerals, primarily calcium and magnesium, are basically missing. Liquid fertilizers, the best ones that are complete in including all nutrients (except carbon, hydrogen and oxygen) do not have sufficient hard minerals to suffice; these are intended as basic comprehensive supplements and most areas in NA have sufficient hard minerals in the water. Those of us with very soft water (my GH is under 1 dGH) will not have much luck with very fast growing plants such as Wisteria unless we also supplement the hard minerals. I do this in my three larger tanks because my large Echinodorus swords will not manage without the calcium. But in the other tanks I don't, and stay with plants that manage without the supplement. You mentioned in the other thread that Wisteria failed; I believe this was partly due to the hard mineral deficiency, and perhaps light though I don't know which fixture you were then using.

Carbon is another issue with high light. Diffusion is the best way to supplement CO2. I know many use the liquid carbon supplements like Excel and CO2 Booster, but these are toxic and I prefer not adding such chemicals to my fish tanks. Even at recommended doses, these will usually melt plants like Vallisneria, and if overdosed can kill bacteria, plants and fish. Glutaraldehyde (the only ingredient with water) is a strong disinfectant used in hospitals, anti-freeze, embalming fluid...you get the idea.

The photoperiod can only go so far. Plants require a fairly specific balance of light intensity and nutrients in order to photosynthesize. Different plant species have different requirements for both light and nutrients, but these must be in balance at whatever level needed. If not, algae will take advantage. So if the light is too little, extending the photoperiod is not going to make up for this; similarly, if the light is too intense, shortening the photoperiod will not compensate. There is obviously a middle are where this can work, but it is limited.

I have tried a dual-tube 48-inch T5 6700K HO tubes over my 5-foot tank (115g), and it was very bright light. I do not use diffused CO2, as my setups are all low-tech or natural, so after a week this went back and I returned to a dual T8 setup.

Byron.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
I'm almost starting to think very nice fake plants are gonna be my best bet. I thought about buying some low light plants this weekend and seeing how they did without adding the new fixture.

These plants are more complicated than the fish it seems. I just need someone to tell me what to buy I think for wisteria and other low light easy care plants.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I'm almost starting to think very nice fake plants are gonna be my best bet. I thought about buying some low light plants this weekend and seeing how they did without adding the new fixture.

These plants are more complicated than the fish it seems. I just need someone to tell me what to buy I think for wisteria and other low light easy care plants.
Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias [these three are attached to decor like wood and rock, they are not planted in the substrate], crypts [these can be fussy plants, I have mixed luck with them]. Pygmy chain sword should manage. Of the stem plants, the only one I would suggest for low/moderate light is Brazilian Pennywort. This also grows well floating. And floating plants will be OK...Water Sprite, Water Lettuce. All these with the better-quality tubes I suggested in the other thread.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
aparker, just as an example, I have a 55g with plants and use an inexpensive Odyssea 48" twin tube 6500K T5HO on it. This fixture consumes 110watts. Like Byron mentioned, even this is a LOT of light for a 55g. I have a pretty good mass of wisteria in this tank that blocks out a lot of the light, so the java fern and anubia below don't get overwhelmed.

IMO, 55's are not the most idea for a planted tank. The 48" is nice, but the 21" x 12" can be a challenge in terms of staging plants front/back. 40B's and 75's are more ideal. Even the lowly 20L.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store