Two Canisters.. Enough Aeration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I have a planted tank, and really didn't like the looks of the airstone. I opted instead to break up the surface with the canister filters... do you think this is enough?

Aeration 1 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Aeration 2 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Mind you I have one per side of the tank (2 eheim 2215's).

Here's the tank itself..

Five Coryadora's by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Mind you, the bubbler is from and old picture. It's no longer there.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Sick setup! Looks to be more than enough. I'm not a fan of bubblers either due to noise, heat loss in the winter, and the way tiny bubbles make the tank look cloudy.
Oh good. I see plenty of small air bubbles in the water... so I think we are good!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
My 2 tanks have CO2, and I have no surface movement, so-- Yes, you have plenty.

PS--Beautiful tank!!!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree, lol. And some floating plants too.

I would be concerned over too much surface distrubance. This drives out CO2 which the plants need, and one can over-do it. I've no idea on the tank size, but the Eheim 2215 is rated for up to 90g so unless this tank is over 90g one filter will be all you should have. Biological filtration competes with plants for nutrients.

Byron.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you're not adding CO2, either pressurized or DIY, there isn't such a thing as too much surface movement. It can only be as much as atmospheric concentration at most. And many fish like the additional oxygen from surface agitation. Airstones add little to either oxygen or CO2, just an aesthetic effect if you like the bubbles & a tiny bit of aeration. You need way more plants & needy ones at that, to worry about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store