100g Freshwater, Coldwater Tank Stocking Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ablondmoment

Registered Member
Jun 5, 2014
Hi! New member here. I am hoping that someone on here can help me out. I am in the process of custom building a 109 gallon aquarium for my dining room. I've been trying to do all my homework before I start adding fish so that my fish will be happy. I have had freshwater tanks in the past and am fairly familiar with them, although this will be my first big tank. I think I would prefer a cold water or temperate tank, that does not require a heater, as I think that will be easier for me to manage starting out. The problem I am having is that I would prefer to have a few specimen (I think that's the correct terminology) fish, as compared to a large amount of schooling fish. I definitely want a few hill stream (weather) loaches, but I cannot find any other fish that are temperate/cold water fish that will reach 10-12" that are not goldfish. Does anyone here know of anything I could do instead of goldfish? Or am I going to have to suck it up and get a heater and do a tropical tank?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) A 10-12 inch fish is too big for a 100 or 109 gal. 6+ inches is about max.
2) Is this a room temp tank, or a cold water tank.
3) What would the temp of the tank be??

Ablondmoment

Registered Member
Jun 5, 2014
The tank will run between 70-72 degrees. Room temp, I just didn't want to have to mess with a heater... Six inch fish would be great if I could find something that is not a goldfish.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Jonah's Aquarium or Zimmermans should be able to help you out. These folks know and sell natives. Depending on what you do, you could get a couple of Cherax crayfish like destructors or red claws. These top out at around 12", have a nice blue color and grab your attention immediately. They are not shy in any way shape or form. The Cherax with a coupleof Pumpkin Seed would look great.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
what henningc said; i've bought fish from both Jonah's and Zimmerman's and have been extremely happy with both.

pumpkinseeds might get a little big for the tank (i don't know whether they remain small in a constrained volume). some of the smaller sunfish, perhaps?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are a wide variety of dwarf sunfish that would be well suited for your setup, but they tend to max out around 4 inches. You might want to look at some of the large killifish.

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
To tame my outdoor koi, each winter I bring one of them inside and keep it in my 50 gallon tank. The Koi are about 10 inches. I feed them by hand and do a lot of hand contact so that when I place the Koi back in the outdoor pond (-1500 gallons) they are well acclimated to human presence/ touch. I have done this with each of my Koii over the past few winters with no ill effect on them in the 50 gallon aquarium. I perform a 40% water change weekly. These fish are stunning this 50 gallon aquarium and actually seem to enjoy the environment. Ihave plants in the aquarium and the koi seem to leave them alone. This is an aged aquarium so nitrites and nitrates never become a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store