Automatic Feeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I suggest not using one of these. I have heard more than once that they can dump too much food into a tank. And if you are away and this happens, this can literally pollute a tank to the detriment of the fish before you get back.

If this is intended for a vacation period when you are away, it is safer to have someone you trust feed the fish periodically; you can measure out food yourself if they are not familiar with fish feeding. Fish can go a week (and some say longer) without food, if they are healthy and the tank is biologically blanaced.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I suggest not using one of these. I have heard more than once that they can dump too much food into a tank. And if you are away and this happens, this can literally pollute a tank to the detriment of the fish before you get back.

If this is intended for a vacation period when you are away, it is safer to have someone you trust feed the fish periodically; you can measure out food yourself if they are not familiar with fish feeding. Fish can go a week (and some say longer) without food, if they are healthy and the tank is biologically blanaced.

Byron.
Totally agree!!! Fish really do not need to eat everyday (or the 2-3 times a day that some of us feed our fish, unless they are babies). If you are only going to be gone a week or so, just feed them well a week or so before you leave.
If you are going to be gone longer, buy the "Daily pill boxes" at drug stores and use that to measure out portions---and then tell that person to feed "ONE" portion every few days.
When we use to leave on long vacations my husband's brother would come over twice a week to feed and just check the house.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I use the Fish Mate F14 feeder. Impossible to overfeed with this unit. I use 3 of these when I go on my 2 week vacations. You can set it to feed once a day or every other day or any days between feedings. My only advice is to connect it to an air pump to prevent moisture from getting into the feeder. But otherwise it works well.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PhysicsDude55

Registered Member
Aug 29, 2011
I have one of these and it works well, is programmable, and only $20 at petco:

Connecting an air pump is a really good idea. I found that my feeders would get moist after about a week if I didn't have a cooling fan blowing on them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you can't be around for water changes, less is better in regards to feeding. Even If I had some type of automatic feeder, I'd set it for 3x a week or so in case anything went awry while I was away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store