Coverless tank with Hatchet Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Both of my bigger tanks have no covers (want more light for my plants). I have not had Hatchet tetras for years (over 15years). I would love to add a school of about 15 Marble Hatchets. Anyone have a suggestion to keep them from jumping out?? I would like to keep the top uncovered, or with something that does not cut out any light. Both tanks are 5 feet or more long.
Any ideas??

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You need a glass (or whatever) cover, unless you keep the water level very low. The number of marble hatchets I have lost from having them jump out during the nigh when I foolishly left the cover glass open by only two inches after feeding is unbelievable. Floating plants will not help unless the surface is completely and thickly covered, prventing the fish from being at the water surface. All species in the genus Carnegiella, which includes the marbled, are very prone to jumping during play, interaction such as breeding, feeding and especially at night when the activity of lower nocturnal fish frighten them. The larger species in Gasteropelecus and Thorachocharax seem to be somewhat less inclined, but will still jump if startled by lower fish during darkness.

I have kept all these species for more than 20 years, and would never consider a non-covered tank. As for the plant/light issue, a plain glass cover that you clean at every weekly water change is not going to reflect much light if the fixture is sitting on the tank frame. My tubes are about an inch above the glass cover.

Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I wouldn't do it w/out a cover either. After about a year and a half, I've only got two of the 4 silver hatchets remaining in my planted 10g. Even with a glass versa-top on this 10g, one managed to pop out through the filter hole and I found him dried out/dead. Another disappeared. No idea if it died and got consumed by the shrimp in with them, or it lept and the cat got it. I've had one of the remaining two fly out during water changes and managed to get them back in w/out issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store