First larger sized tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I'm in the process of getting my first larger aquarium. Right now I'm trying to decide between a 36g bow, 37g or 45g. For a filter I was thinking an Aqueon Quiet Flow 55.

The fish that I would like are:

1 x Angel, 1 x Pearl Gourami, 1 x Bolivian Ram, 1 x Pleco (not sure which type yet...leopard, tiger, etc.), 4 x False Julii Cory's & 6 x Harlequin Rasboras

Obviously the larger the tank the better. However, do to the wall that it would be on the only larger tanks I could go to would be a 56g or a 65g (both more expensive than I want to spend at this time). Would those 6 species do well together. What type of plants should I be looking at? Would it be ok to add a canister filter later on as the fish get bigger? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
And I have seen stores with the $1. per gal sale too.

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Update: Well, I took the plunge and treated myself (with the wife's blessing of course) to a 56 gal tank for Father's Day. I wanted the largest possible for the location and this was it. Now I'll be ordering an Eheim 2215 filter, Current USA lighting w/ the dual ramp timer and an Eheim 150w heater. I'm deciding on the aquadurt or seachem flourite for the substrate.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Read our subtrate debates in the plant forum.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree; these so-called enriched substrates only waste your money, and they are very expensive compared to play sand, and if corys are intended, sand is best.

On heaters, as this is a 4-foot tank, go with two 150w or (preferably) 200w heaters, one at each end next to the filter intake and return respectively which should be at opposite ends of the tank. Tanks over 3 feet should not be left with just one heater.

On the fish mentioned, I would re-think things. First, you need more corys, they are very social and the more the better. Five is the usual minimum suggested by the cory sources, but more as I say is always better. On the pleco, be careful of species; many get very large, and frankly are waste factories which has quite an impact on the biology. There are smaller species, under 4-5 inches. Some are vegetarian, others more omnivorous leading to carnivorous.

Angelfish and gourami is not always a good mix, as the fish are very similar in temperament especially if you end up with males. I'm not a fan of lone angelfish or gourami, as both show more natural behaviours with interactions among fish of the species, and with your tank you have a perfect opportunity for a group of Pearl Gourami. This beautiful fish is best in a group, say 2 males to 3-4 females, or 3 males to 4-5 females. This would be a nice sight. Floating plants of course to provide their environmental need. A group (larger than 6) of one of the medium-sized rasbora (Trigonostigma species, and others, just not the dwarfs in Boraras which may well get eaten), a dozen or so.

Byron.

matt_zak

AC Members
May 23, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Thank you for the advice Tanker & Byron!

Byron, this is actually a 56 gal column tank so it is 30" w x 18" d x 24" h. Would you still recommend 2 heaters or just the one? The look of play sand or pool filter sand are both nice. I most likely will go this route. The only worry I have is gas pockets.

Since I got a bigger tank than I initially expected, once I get it setup and it is cycling then I will go back and figure out the larger fish that I will put in it. From what I've read the Pearl's are peaceful. Is it more the Angelfish that are the problem? Since this is a tall tank if I had to choose between the two types I would probably go with the Angelfish. I have no problem upping the cory's to a group of 6 if that means they will be happier. The pleco will be the last fish I add and I will get one that doesn't get over 5-6" when full grown.

Is there anything else I am missing? I appreciate the advice. I prefer to take my time and do it the best way possible the first time.

Matt

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Byron, this is actually a 56 gal column tank so it is 30" w x 18" d x 24" h. Would you still recommend 2 heaters or just the one?
I would still have two. The volume is enough that one heater will have to work very hard to keep the temp, depending of course upon the ambient room temperature. I see you are in Texas, so presumably your winters may not lower the temperature much. But assuming the room temperature is not going to be at the intended tank temp, the heater(s) are still working, and two work less often than one alone which means there is less chance of failure. Plus, if one does fail, you still have a backup to cover until you see it. Don't skimp on heaters, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Lights can fail, filters can fail, and you are not in real trouble; but a heater failure overnight can mean diseased or dead fish. Eheim is a very reliable brand, and I assume the heater is the Eheim Jager. This is what I now buy when I need a heater. And I would go with the 200w.

The look of play sand or pool filter sand are both nice. I most likely will go this route. The only worry I have is gas pockets.
I thought this too in the years I had gravel, but anaerobic areas are going to occur in any substrate. Sand does not "pack" that much if it is not greater depth than you need, you have plants, and you can also get the Malaysian Livebearing Snail as these burrow throughout the substrate. I've had play sand for three years now in five of my tanks, and no problems. Anaerobic zones are essential for a healthy and complete biological system anyway. I like the grayish mix look of Quikrete Play Sand. If you go with pool sand, avoid white.

Since I got a bigger tank than I initially expected, once I get it setup and it is cycling then I will go back and figure out the larger fish that I will put in it. From what I've read the Pearl's are peaceful. Is it more the Angelfish that are the problem? Since this is a tall tank if I had to choose between the two types I would probably go with the Angelfish.
Angelfish are a shoaling fish by nature, so it would be best to have a group of five or six. You can have just one, but in my view it will look "odd." I posted a video of an ideal angelfish tank in another thread, you might find it interesting:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?278305-Can-angelfish-live-alone

I have no problem upping the cory's to a group of 6 if that means they will be happier. The pleco will be the last fish I add and I will get one that doesn't get over 5-6" when full grown.
More is always better with shoaling fish, and you have the space so I would say at least 12 corys. One species, or combine species, but if the latter try to have a few of each species. I really like corys, so I have several species, 12 or 13 in the 115g and just one (so far) in the 70g.

Is there anything else I am missing? I appreciate the advice. I prefer to take my time and do it the best way possible the first time.
You mentioned plants initially and I missed that question, sorry. The "Current" light I assume is LED; I know next to nothing of LED as I'm still using T8, lol, but I have heard that Current is decent plant light. But if others with LED experience advise something else...fine. This will give you moderate4 light I would assume, and no diffused CO2 was mentioned, so we are talking natural or low-tech planted tank here. The common Amazon Sword, Echinodorus grisebachii (E. bleherae), is ideal. One of the larger swords like E. macrophyllus or E. cordifolius in a rear corner would be nice. Brazilian Pennywort is one of the few stem plants that grows well with moderate lighting. Depending upon the depth and light intensity, substrate plants might be difficult here, but some that could work are the crypts and pygmy chain sword. Or you could go more "authentic" for typical tropical watercourses and have sand with several bits of wood and some branches, the sword plants, and floating plants. The pennywort grows nicely floating too.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store